1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg 8x10 needs wheels replaced. How hard?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by K2000, Oct 21, 2006.

1. K2000

K2000

Nov 16, 2005
    Brooklyn
    Anybody ever swap out the wheels, on an 8x10?

I already have the new wheels. But I'm wondering how big of a pain it is, to do this?

I'm guessing I have to pull the cab apart from the front, to access the bolts? Remove the speaker baffle?

I can only guess because the cab isn't here, it's at the practice space. I just broke up with my bandmates, and now I need to move the cab. I was procrastinating on the wheel issue... looks like it's come back to haunt me. :rolleyes:

How painful is it, to replace the wheels?

2. um......what? just unscrew them and screw the new ones on.....or am i missing something here

3. K2000

K2000

Nov 16, 2005
    Brooklyn
    No screws, I think they are bolted in, which probably means opening up the cab. As far as I know, that means going in through the front, pulling the baffle and the speakers... something I have never needed to do before.

On the other hand, the nuts may be on the outside, and the bolts on the inside. This would make sense, because then the nuts can be regularly tightened from outside, without needing to open the cab.

Hmmm, maybe this will be not-so-hard.

Anybody know for sure?

4. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    EZ, these are simple wheels you can find at Home Depot or any other local hardware store. They come in stock sizes like 3", 3 1/2", 4", 6" etc. Don't mess around looking for them on the internet, you'll get overcharged. If the ones on there now are bolted from the inside, you may have to remove a speaker to get at them but bolt your new ones from the outside to make future replacements easier. This is simple hardware, there is no such thing as a "vintage Ampeg wheel" or anything like that.

5. SubMonkey

SubMonkey

May 3, 2004
    Denver, CO
    Not exactly an 810 but I use an Ampeg1832 cab... Unless yours is vintage I'd be willing to bet that your casters are attached in the same manner as mine are.. (I changed mine simlpy because a couple of years of gigging left the stock wheels less than completely round).

the bolts are threaded into T-nuts on mine, meaning that as long as you dont push on the bolts while removing them, the T-nuts will very likely stay embedded in the wood of the cabinet and you should'nt have to open anything up. Your second alternative (and this is the one I ended up doing because I could'nt find casters/brackets that matched up with the existing mounting holes in the cabinet in a hurry) is to get any heavy duty casters/brackets you can find with the same size wheels and remove the axles (typically a nut and carriage bolt) and replace just the wheels on your existing brackets...

sorry, that was a lot of words for a pretty simple procedure...

SM

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 15, 2021