Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg 8x10 portability

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Matt Call, Jan 11, 2005.

1. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    So, I'm thinking about getting an 810. How is it for transportation? I know that it is a behemouth of a cab, but it does have that dolly type dealy on it. How to you pick it up and whatnot, since I noticed there are no side handles on it.

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    All but the earliest versions of the SVT cab have a large bar in the back, so it's just like maneuvering a hand truck.

The only hassles are having to actually lift it (like up and down stairs).

3. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    Well, which 810 are you talking about? I have a newer Ampeg, and transporting it is not too difficult... for a 165 lb fridge, that is. The metal kick plate, towel bar, back rails, and wheels definitely make things easier. The most difficult part of moving it is making sure that you don't damage the tolex. :rolleyes: That, and stairs...

To pick it up, it's obviously a two-person job. Usually, one person holds the top bar, while the other holds the wheels (this is with the front facing upward.) To load it into my car, I just bring it right up to the back gate, lean it over, and then slide it into the back along the rails. Easy, and no lifting required.

It's not light, and I know I won't have this thing forever (my back will only last so long... ;) ). But as long as I can, I will. Good luck finding a cab.

4. Matt Call

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    That's kind of what I was thinking as far as loading goes, but does it damage the tolex? Also, my question about the handles is taken care of. I forgot about the wheels.

I've found a brand new 810 from a store for $850 shipped. it's really only 789, but with shipping....

I think I'm going to do it. Well, when I get the money that is. I've got to pay off my svt4 first.

5. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

Dec 25, 1999
    Here are a couple of my previous posts on the subject. I love my 8X10 and it is easily transportable.

"I use an 8X10 on every gig except for maybe once every 2 months when we are in a place that wants us to play pretty quiet. Our stage volume typically is prob too high, but we do seem to play better and enjoy it more when our pants are flappin. I haul it myself as well as the PA...and I'm an old guy. I've done the smaller cab thing, and I'm never satisfied with it, even tho I have quality cabs. I have a couple of 8X10s, but the one that gets gigged is an early 90's one with casters. It is actually much much easier to move around than my Eden 210-XLT's. And when loading in the van I just line it up sideways with the bumper, tip it over and push it in from the bottom. Voila. So for me, the 8X10 is not only not obsolete, it is alive and well, and works out every weekend."

"on my gigging 8x10, I added about 4 feet of 3/4" square steel tubing up each side of the back, pretty much in line with the casters. The tubes extend down till just before they touch the casters. It allows me to slide the cab up (and down) stairs one step at a time without messing up the cab. I have a much easier time moving my 8x10 than my Eden 2x10 cabs. Easy on the back, an easy pull, and easy in and out of the van. And this is from a guy who broke his back a few years ago. I just don't understand the reluctance to gig with 8x10s. I certainly don't do it because it looks "menacing" or whatever...I do it because it gves me exactly the tone and volume that I like with my setup."
    :D :D :D :D :D

6. mikeyvr6

mikeyvr6 Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2002
    Plymouth, Wisconsin
    Transporting it and moving it around is not as big of a deal as most people make it out to be. It is a two person lift, but it's not bad.

I had a friend sew up a fitted cover for it out of $15 worth of padded marine vinyl I bought at Jo-Ann Fabrics. I've done 50+ gigs with it and the tolex is still mint.

7. Matt Call

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    I'm still worried about putting one in my car.

8. If you want an 8x10 to be portable, get an engine and attach it to the back of the cab, and drive it to gigs. That's the only way it'll be portable.

9. mikeyvr6

Feb 19, 2002
    Plymouth, Wisconsin
    What kind of car do you have? I can fit mine comfortably in my Volkswagen Golf GTI.

10. Matt Call

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    1999 Saab 9-3. It's got a pretty big trunk, and the back seats fold down....

11. mikeyvr6

Feb 19, 2002
    Plymouth, Wisconsin
    That one's a hatchback, right? If it has a removable trunk cover flap thing like my GTI does, you'll be fine.

12. Corwin81

Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    if ya got long arms, bearhug the SOB, lol.