Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ampeg 8x10 road case

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thelastofus, Oct 24, 2005.

1. thelastofus

thelastofus Guest

Jul 3, 2002
    Bakersfield, Ca
    i'm in a band and we're getting ready to tour so i want to pick up a case for my 8x10 but the only one i was able to find was from affordablecases.com they have it priced around $550. i was wondering what other companys there are out there and if there are any for cheaper. im satisfied as long as it protects it, dont really care if it's an awesome case or anything. any urls? thanks

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    That price sounds pretty reasonable for a full ATA case with wheels and flap for jack outlets. Be sure to get one that rolls on its BACK instead of standing upright, those things with the weight of a case added to it are BEARS to navigate around corners, up ramps, carry up stairs, etc.

3. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
  4. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    dude...no case....that's overkill. Those cabs can fall off the back of a truck at 50 MPH and be fine! They look even cooler when the tolex is all beat up. Just like a well worn Fender Bass...it's road scars...means you've rocked long and hard! Isn't the cab, by itself, big enough? I mean...a road case for an 8x10 will be gigantic. Do you have roadies? I used to just throw my Ampeg 8x10 in the van (or trailer) and we'd stack drum stuff on top of it. Never hurt the cab a bit!

5. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    i dont personally know that company, but i agree that a heavy duty padded cover should be fine. otherwise you will have a friggin' 400 lb bass cab to haul around that takes up a whole lotta space.

6. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    getting a hardshell case for an 8x10 is overkill. the only thing that will eventually break off of one is the wheels. i destroyed my 8x10 over a 5 year period and still made money when i got rid of it.

the le cover, keeps it from getting scratched up.

7. NicJimBass

NicJimBass Is this thing on!? Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    Endorsing Artist: DR Strings, Source Audio, Hipshot
    Here's what I did (and my cab is near mint after about 9 months of playing out)-
    Take the box that the cab came in (or any old box that fits over the 'fridge') cut it to whatever specs you need, and wrap the sucker in duct tape. It's practically indestructable, and at most, you'll have the cost of 2 rolls of tape and a box. Who cares if you need to make one every year or so? Just slides on and off and keeps everything scratch-free.

8. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    He said he will be "on tour". If that's "on tour" in the true sense instead of just hyping himself, he'll need an ATA case if the gear is ever to go by way of airplane, or if union workers will be handling the shipping from city to city, including union people at a large venue who are just local, taking care of just the load-in load outs.

9. thelastofus

thelastofus Guest

Jul 3, 2002
    Bakersfield, Ca
    yea, we're signing with a new rock label under emi/cmg and it's probaby gonna entail about 10 months out of the year of touring. here's a link to my bands myspace incase anyone's interested www.myspace.com/lostocean but yea, i realize it would be a lot to handle but they just seemed so standard for a lot of touring bands.

thanks
    bret

10. bassbaterie

bassbaterie

Dec 14, 2003
    Houston Texas
    Director, Quantum Bass Center
    $550 is sorta cheap for a real ATA case, but then, you get what you pay for. The wheels should be on the front removable lid, not the back, unless you want to listen to them rattle all through your show. Have seen those Affordable cases, and they're...well...uh...the name says it all. I have a lot to say about ATA cases but I'm not an advertiser here; if you have questions email me, and since it came up, I'll look into being an advertiser so I can post advice more liberally. LeCover is good; Cloud 9 is outstanding.