1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg 8x10 Speaker Upgrade

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jastacey, Oct 17, 2009.

1. jastacey

jastacey

Feb 8, 2009
    Houston,Tx
    Well ,,, after reading about this thread http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=543204 I got to thinking about doing this to my old ragged out 8x10 cabinet 4019873526_a3dff2ffc7_b.

The cabinet history is kinda unknown, bought it for $375.00 from a guy in Austin.Tx a couple of months ago, listened to the speakers to make sure that they weren't blown, loaded it into the car and off I went, used it about 20 times and it sounded pretty good, .... well I finally got around to getting the grill off, this is what i found 4019113893_889919f5de_b.

Looks like some speakers were changed out ... so after taking the top speakers out, to load the Jensen MOD's ...here's what I found 4019316273_ecaae8604e_b.
    One of the speakers is a replacement Eminence Electro-Harmonix:
    10SVT,101024A, 67-0548B 0097 and the other speaker is: 86-032-01, 10324, 67-95290719, this speaker appears to be OEM to the cabinet ( there's a recent thread that talks about this speaker http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=589066 ), I then moved 2 of the OEM speakers to the second row and made sure the Electro-Harmonix speakers, were on the bottom, here's a view of the Jensen MOD next to the Eminence speaker 4020124100_681aca3f6f_b. the Jenson MOD magnet is somewhat smaller

After all the speakers were mounted, here's what it looks like 4019231575_82803f3cc1_b.

As a side note, I didn't realize that I had some of the brighter drivers, one lesson learned ...pull the grill off, and don't be in a hurry, when buying stuff, secondly the Jensen MODS are made in Italy, and the most important question, after all the stuff that I had to do, would I do it again ....YES, ....... the sound is much brighter, not as cloudy/dark sounding, and it was an $80.00 project that took about an hour ..... The cabinet was built out of OSB board ( Flake Board ) and the board that the speakers are mounted to is plywood, so I'm thinking it was built in the early/mid 1990's, I just don't know, as the S/N is gone.
    If your on the fence, in doing this to your cabinet, I'd say do it ... I'm going to get 2 more Jenen MOD's in the near furture, to finish the project, but as is ...it sounds like a different cabinet.

2. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
  3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I get more interested in these Mods the more I hear about them. Can you tell any difference with the EHX vs Eminence? Those EHX speakers aren't common at all on here. I think you're the first person I've seen that has a cab with them.

4. kringle77

kringle77 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    Just so that you guys know, I have the top two drivers in my ampeg 8x10 replaced with eminence alpha 10's. They are brighter than the stock drivers and still handle the 100/150 watts of the origionals. If I had to replace all of them, I'd go with the alphas at half the price of the stock drivers. I'd like to try the mods as well.

5. kringle77

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    Actually, from the pics, some of them look like the alpha's. I take it that the jensens are even brighter than the "bright" drivers that you didn't know you had?

6. jastacey

jastacey

Feb 8, 2009
    Houston,Tx
    To answer Jimmy's question, yes, I could hear a difference between the EHX and the OEM speakers, the EHX apeakers were somewhat darker sounding, the high mids were somewhat lacking, but not as dark as a newer cab, however the lows are really nice sounding, and to answer Kringle77 question, yes, the Jensen's are brighter, but a full rounded brightness ....
    The only place I've seen the Electro-Harmonix speakers were at Fliptops . com
    Here's a view of the labeling on the EHX speaker 4020044149_8c4a6fdbf4_b.

7. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    a while back i posted my modifications to my 2003 (or thereabouts) SVT 810 cab. i replaced four of the speakers w/ 32 ohm Jensen Mod50's and the cab really came to life. my cab had the original newer dark sounding (my estimation of up to 2kHZ) 10's and the Jensens made it sound almost just like a vintage SVT cab, but with a bit more low end. the cab's original 8 10's were just a bit too dark for me, but i did like their low end punch so i just swapped out 1/2 of them.

8. sedan_dad

sedan_dad

Feb 5, 2006
    Columbus,Ohio
    I have a pair of mods in my flat back SVT and they are a bit brighter but sound great.
    I approve.

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Am I to surmise that you wouldn't load a cab with all Mods then, Bill? What about the rest of you? My speakers are OK now, but I've had 3 of them break in the last 3 months.

10. sedan_dad

sedan_dad

Feb 5, 2006
    Columbus,Ohio
    If I couldn't get the original reconed for a good price , yes I'd do it.

11. kringle77

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    I ordered four of the mod 10-50 drivers this morning to do the switch with my ampeg 8x10. I also have an empty avatar 4x10 cab that I will seal and try with the four jensens first. If they sound good like that, it may be very worth while to have LDS build me a pair of light weight, sealed 4x10 cabs for my svt head. I post on this thread how it turns out.

12. jastacey

jastacey

Feb 8, 2009
    Houston,Tx
    Here's an update ....I played with this cabinet for about 4 hours, in a band context ...since this is tone and sound, take it for what's it's worth ... the overall improvement, is in the upper midrange, it's less muddy/cloudy, some-what focused, but not really beamy, the crunch from tubes seems to be tight and crisp, the low end is still punchy and in 8x10 fashion authoritative

13. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Making me hot, bro!

14. Broner? :p

15. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    EWWWW! Ever say something and immediately regret it? ;)

16. Gearhead43

Gearhead43

Nov 25, 2007
    NorCal
    Hahaha, broner. :p

17. sadly i think that one may become an actual word

18. Grooveman1961

Grooveman1961

May 8, 2006
    The mod 50's look tempting, but....they've got a paper accordian suround. I wonder how long they will last.

They've also got a straight cone with ribs, as opposed to the convex cone of the svt's.

They're resonant freq is up over a hundred, so I would think that they would give up low end response.

But if they sound good.....

I see that the eminence alpha 10 has nearly identicle specs to alot of the svt drivers..and they can be had for 40 bucks.

they're 8 ohm, but youd still end up with 4 with eight of them.

19. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Other than impedance the Alpha 10 and the current OEM SVT driver are similar.

20. Strange that you guys are talking about the new 810 cabs having a dark sound. I have a fairly new one (couple years old) and I find it plenty bright enough. I don't screw my EQ for top end, in actual fact I have it set flat. It might be because I use a solid state (GK) amplifier but I doubt it. :)