Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg 8x10 sucks

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tim Cole, Sep 29, 2002.

1. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    We did a gig this week, and I used the other guys cabinet, with my SWR 750 head. Nothing I could do EQ wise to get a clean tone, I won't do without my goliath sr. again anytime soon....mud SUCKS!

2. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    First time I heard that........ there are so many tastes as people on this planet

3. Jarrod

Jarrod

Jan 1, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    yeah, you don't go walking into a bass forum and start bashing one of the most popular and legendary icons in all of bassplaying!

that's asking for trouble... or to be ignored, as this thread probably will be

4. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I won't ignore you -- everyone's entitled to their opinion, even if it doesn't agree with the popular one (opinion, that is).

5. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    sorry, didn't mean to offend anyone....I think it just needs some kind of tweet or horn for my taste...also forgot to add IMO....sorry!

6. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    I agree! Actually all 8x10 suck! But just because the're too big and heavy. Once I have roadies I might get a couple though... :)

7. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Who the heck wants a wimpy clean sound anyway? ;) Gotta throw alittle dirt in there to make it interesting.

Personally, I'm not too fond of the newer SVT 810 but the ones from the 70's & earier are just to incredible for my keyboard to put in to words. I also feel that the SVT 410HLF & SVT 610HLF sound better then the newer SVT 810 due to the ported cab & horn. :)

ALSO:
    What head was the other bassist playing through it? Did it sound good?

Alot of times, certin heads & cabs just don't mix.

8. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    I saw Deep Purple live two weeks ago, and Roger was running 4 Ampeg 8x10s on the stage. He was playing a Vigier most of the night - it cut through beautifully, no mud at all. Don't know which amps he used though, but that Vigier had quite a sizzle on the top, with solid, punchy lows.

9. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    He uses an SVT-3 pro head, with a 75 jazz bass. I have never cared for his tone, it has always sounded muddy. (althought I DO like the ampeg sound, and jazz tone) I always though he just dialed out the tone for his own preference, but IMO it is apparently the cab. PS., the cab is a 92 model.

10. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    Well. I like ampeg stuff.. i don't have an 8x10 cab because at this moment.. i'm not playing in crowds bigger than 1,000 people..yet anyway..

Can you describe what you feel is muddy? I wouldn't imagine 8x10 cabs being muddy.. maybe a 2x15... but again.. you are intitled to your opinion.. so good luck with your rig.. SWR gear is nice as well.. I have both :D

11. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    quite a bit of bottom, very few mids, zero highs. Has somewhat of the geezer butler sound, which some people are into, but I'm not.

12. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I dont like Ampeg gear much either.

Then again, I hate SWR.

Different strokes for different folks.

Peace
    Nick

13. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I think a better word would be muffled instead of muddy.

I'm suprised this thread didn't start alot of flames.

14. The more you speak of the 810, the better I feel. And even though you're down on Geezer I'm up on you just for knowing that there is a "geezer butler sound". Rock On!:cool:

15. The only 8x10 I've played on was a Ampeg 810E. With a crap TE head. This was at a drummer's house (it was his gear) just to jam on.

Suck. Double suck. I felt like crawling into a corner and hiding, because of how it sounded. It made me sound like I was playing a bass while wearing mittens.

But, looks like I'm gonna wind up doing something with him. So, I'm going to bring over my Svp-Pro and carvin power amp. Plus every bass I have, gotta find something decent! At least I won't have to haul a cab around, but I'll take nearly anything else instead of that setup.

I get angry just thinking of how it sounded.

16. I wonder how the Ampeg sounds compared to Geddy Lee's Maytag backline. He had 3 Maytags at the Sacramento show last week.

:D

17. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    Good point. It's been fairly civil...so far.

I'm waiting[​IMG]

18. BassAxe

BassAxe

Jul 22, 2002
    Culpeper, VA
    Do Ampegs generally have a certain sound to them??? I have tried only two ampeg combo amps before. I'm usedto the sound of my G-K set and I just couldn't seem to get any brightness or punch out of those two Ampeg amps. I don't recall what themodels were.

19. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Hey, if you like the tone of the ampeg 8x10, great, i dont really. i'm just glad people are speaking the truth and saying it's sound is a little "Muffled", and it's true. heck, i knwo tons of peple that sound great on records who play 8x10's. i'm not a fan though. werid, for me, swr is to Highly tuned, Ampeg is to muddy, and peavy sounds great. what the heck i say, what the heck.

20. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I hardly ever take it out anymore (too heavy and not the tone I go for these days) but my 1970 SVT 810 cab powered by the 1970 SVT head most definitely does not "suck."