Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg 8x10 the "industry standard"

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by watspan, Mar 13, 2003.

1. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    Seems to me from informal observations of concert dvd's and live music performances on tv(conan, snl, letterman, leno etc.) that Ampeg 8x10 cabs, ampeg tube heads and Fender p and J basses are the industry standard among professional touring bassists. Sure, lots of people use other stuff, but ampeg/fenders sure seem to be prevalent. What's your thoughts?

2. floydman

floydman Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2002
    southeast CT
    i don't know about fender but ampeg for sure gives their gear to pro bassists and in some situations pays bassists to use their gear, this might increase the numbers some.

3. I like evil people. They're fun!
    (I got an email from a girl that says she is evil)

4. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    I'll kill you.

5. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
  6. Boozy

Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    yummy ;)

7. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Fender & Ampeg is like Sugar & Spice:D

8. bassgod76

bassgod76 bass turd burglar Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2003
    South Florida
    test

9. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Beautiful first post Bg76! and welcome to the board,

10. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    ampeg amps certainly have a good, reliable and consistent sound, but industry standard? i don't know about that. you may be seeing the same thing on those shows because they use the same backline providers for each guest.

as for instruments, i don't agree there at all. some of the biggest money in the industry is being made on ibanez instruments.

11. bassgod76

Mar 13, 2003
    South Florida
    Everytime I have worked with or played an Ampeg, I'm dissapointed with its lack of clarity and focus. They sound like a big sloppy thumping mess. What's with a mesh screen instead of a metal grill?

12. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    That's your opinion Bro but some of us like the so called sloppy thumping mess, Not everything is as good as Eden ya know:meh:
    Note: I also play both Eden and Ampeg rigs.:rolleyes:

13. you sound fun

14. bassgod76

Mar 13, 2003
    South Florida
    My opinion is not to insult anyone. Some do like that famous ampeg growl. That's cool. It's what makes us all different. I'm just into Eden/Bergantino products. I think the Eden 410XLT is fat becoming the industry standard. But that's just my humble opinion.

15. bassgod76

Mar 13, 2003
    South Florida
    fast becoming the industry standard. Sorry. I apologize if I upset you funkster.

16. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Dude it's all good!!:D I play through a Eden WT400 and two 210 T's 90% of the time but I also love my 70's SVT! there's nothing like it.
    I couldn't agree with you more about the newer ampcrate stuff being over rated but again that's just my opinion also.
    I played through a newer SVT for a few years and it just never floated my boat and I went to Eden.
    It's all good my friend we are all entitled to our own opinions that's what makes us all individual!
    Still nice to meetcha and welcome to TB:cool:

17. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I'm confused. I thought that Peavey and Genz Benz were the industry standards, right? :p ;)

18. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    :D I have a awesome PV head to and played through some pretty impressive GB stuff also.

19. bassgod76

Mar 13, 2003
    South Florida
    My first amp was a peavey. They make solid stuff, but nothing fancy.

20. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Shhh!! Don't let bassgod76 know about the PV! :D One day I'll get to make me a deal on a Classic. ;)

BTW, I tried the Genz Benz GBE 400 head a couple of weeks back. I actually preferred it to the EBS HD 350 and the lower price was just a bonus. Sweet head for sure and don't get me started about the cabs.........:cool: I'd prefer the Benz 610T-XB2 over an Ampeg 810 as my cab of choice. No disrepect to Ampeg.

I mostly agree with you on that but they have made a few pieces that I feel might be considered pretty fancy. Funkster's Classic 400 is a good example in my opinion. It's an awesome 400 watt all-tube head that Peavey no longer makes. Why? I'm not sure but I think the fact that it had a list price of about $1600.00 or $1700.00 had something to do with that. Can you imagine potential buyers saying, "I'm not paying that much for a Peavey!" :D

There are other examples and some of their recent amplification products are pretty fancy. Ask embellisher how he feels about his new BAM 210 combo. You're right. Peavey makes solid stuff but sometimes they'll throw a solid & fancy offering out there. If we don't show any interest due to a stereotype, they don't keep it around. Am I making any sense?