1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg 8x10 to dual 15?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bouigha123, Oct 18, 2009.

1. Bouigha123

Bouigha123

Sep 5, 2009
    Hey guys, right now I have a ampeg 8x10 with a CL head, There are a couple cheep 8x10 cabs on the craigslist for my area, and i was thinking about getten one selling the 10 inch speekers and putten in 2 15 inch speakers, would this be hard to do? Im not vary experinced with moding cabs
    Heres what I have now
    [​IMG][/IMG]

2. rbonner

rbonner

Sep 25, 2008
    Yeah it will be hard to do. If you have a perfect AMPEG 810 I might consider trading one of my 215's...

3. sedan_dad

sedan_dad

Feb 5, 2006
    Columbus,Ohio
    Don't screw up your 810.
    Just get a 215 cab.
    Hook them BOTH up.

kosmicwizard likes this.
  4. No. Get a 4x15. Then hook them both up. DOOOOOM.

5. Bouigha123

Bouigha123

Sep 5, 2009
    There are some old ones that are pretty tore up i could get for like 300 bucks, i might be able to talk my local shop into doen it if i give them the speakers too

6. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    That would be stupid. You'd have to cut up the internal bracing, rip out the old speaker baffle and retrofit a new speaker baffle with the 2x15" cutouts, and then fabricate new bracing and pray to your all-seeing being that it was the right design and placement so that it didn't affect the sound and was tuned properly. Not to mention that it probably won't hold up because the more holes you drill into MDF (which ALL cheap 8x10's are made of) and try to glue stuff together, the less structurally sound it becomes.

The math:
    $300 for cheap 8x10
    $300 for parts
    $200 for labor
    = $800 wasted on 8x10, parts, and labor

Just find a 2x15.

7. rogypop

rogypop

Jan 10, 2009
    Croatia
    +1 000 000

8. R Baer

R Baer Commercial User

Jun 5, 2008
    President, Baer Amplification
    Remember that a properly designed cabinet is not just a wood box with some speakers dropped in. There's a lot of engineering that goes into
    designing a cabinet to work with specific drivers. There's is tons of info here on TB.

9. jastacey

jastacey

Feb 8, 2009
    Houston,Tx
    If you somewhat handy with a circular saw & jigsaw, get a plan for the TL-606, buy 2 Eminence 3015's, some 3/4 " plywood, some 1x2's about 18 feet, a grill, grill brackets, a speaker jack, jack plate, some yellow glue, some nail/screws, 3 cans of black spray paint, and about 8 hours of time .... you'll have 2- 15's that will really sound good ... IMHO

10. yes.....cutting it up would be folly......even just for asking it makes me think that the op's 8x10 should come here for safe keeping,or go out west to bonners stable,where it can roam free

11. Wasn't the Ampeg 2x15 in the same box as the 8x10, though?

12. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    Same outer dimensions, completely different on the inside though.

kosmicwizard likes this.
  13. SBrown

SBrown

Dec 5, 2008
    Auburn, CA
    My Ampeg B25B is 13"D. x 29"W. x 40"H. I think its smaller than an 8x10, but it has a bigger heart.

14. rbonner

rbonner

Sep 25, 2008
    The 215e is the same back box, with two cabs instead of 4 and ported through a different baffle. STILL a tough mod with all the glue and particle board exploding.

You got snow on the ground up there Jim? We have a warm up going down here... Supposed to be 65 today... Snow gone, half the pipes in RV still froze.

BOB

15. Bouigha123

Bouigha123

Sep 5, 2009
    Right now im talking to a guy with a dual 15 ampeg, if i could find schmadics for it im pretty sure could make one i know it would be a ton of work thow but it would deffinatly be vary cool if i could pull it off

16. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    Build one from scratch = EXCELLENT IDEA!!!! :bassist::hyper::D

Attempt to convert an 8x10 to a 2x15 = 3rd worst idea ever right behind Nigerian money laundering schemes and helicopter ejection seats. :rollno::scowl::mad:

This isn't one of those moments where in a few years you're going to look back and say "they said I couldn't do it but I showed them!". You're gonna look back and say "man, I wish I would have listened to those guys".

kosmicwizard likes this.
  17. I didn't know the 215E was ported.

kosmicwizard likes this.
  18. Bouigha123

Bouigha123

Sep 5, 2009
    Does anyone know how many 215e's ampeg made i live round dc so theres gota be one at least a few hundred miles around here

19. heytrid

heytrid

Feb 12, 2008
    Calgary AB
    I run a 215e and an 810av. not sure how many 215e's were made and sorta hard to tell from most pictures since as stated they are identical to look at.

I don't think I would trade or sell mine away though, i think it is great

kosmicwizard likes this.
  20. mophead

mophead Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2004
    Texas Panhandle
    Find a Berg NV215 and your worries are over. Smaller, lighter, and the sound will make you get rid of everything else.