1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg 8x10 vs. Eden D410XLT

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by The Gaz, Sep 25, 2008.

1. The Gaz

The Gaz

Sep 24, 2008
    I've found an Ampeg 8x10 for $500 and an Eden D410XLT for $400, both in good condition.

Advice for someone who plays a terrible sounding SWR 750x, cured by a Sansamp, in a band with 2 100-watt Marshalls?

I need that low round sound that I know I can get with the 8x10, but come on, it is very big and $100 more. Could that Eden suffice? So many mixed reviews in the archives...

Thanks.

2. naetog

naetog Supporting Member

May 26, 2006
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    i wouldn't want to haul the refrigerator around anywhere, so i'd get the eden. I had one and loved it. do you really need 8 10's??

3. The Gaz

The Gaz

Sep 24, 2008
    well, i'm not sure if i need it, that's why i'm inquiring. did you use the eden in a band?

4. brothernewt

brothernewt Some people call me the stormtrooper of love...

Apr 13, 2004
    Happyrock, OR
    The obvious advice: try both... get the one you like best.

A couple things I'd consider: Gritty tones can be harsh/nasty through a tweeter (just guessing grit by the sansamp and distaste for the 750 by itself). The tilt back 'n roll design on the fridge means it may be easier to move (my opinion, YMMV). You didn't mention impedance, but you may get more out of a 4Ohm cab than an 8 with your amp.

This is why I would go with Ampeg... not why you should. :cool:

5. Get the fridge !

6. The Gaz

The Gaz

Sep 24, 2008
    anyone ever blow speakers in an eden? I've come across some disheartening stuff about it. i'm super paranoid ever since i blew all 6x10s in a SWR Goliath - although now I know why it happened.

7. FunkyLemz

FunkyLemz

Oct 17, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    i played my eden xlt 4x10 alone at 8 ohms and it didn't hold up with my acrylic kit and guitarist with a marshall stack. I now use it with a mesa 2x15 bridged at 1100 watts and it's so loud I have no issues competing.

8. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004
    Ireland
    i wonder some times what a bass player has to suffice with to be able to keep up with guitarists.. like having 800 watts or so is great.. but it aint gonna see past 4.. both my gui****s play throu 100watt marshalls and i just use a lonely little 150Watt 15" warwick and it does the job nicely.. thou jamming volumes differ i guess with some people..

9. Ampeg!

10. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I think they're fairly comparable in terms of output as long as it is a 4 ohm 4x10, and not too far off from one another in tone. They both have a big bump in the low mids that sits great in the mix. The Eden tweeter can be turned off if you don't want to hear it. The fridge is taller, which is nice since it can make it easier to hear if you are close to it on stage, but the Eden is much more compact, taking up less room in the van, and being easier to move in some situations. 810Es are very very VERY heavy, so even with the tilt-and-roll feature, they are still quite cumbersome to move IMO. That is why I use an Aguilar 4x12, which has everything good about the 810 but weighs much less.

At any rate, a couple of very nice cabs you're looking at there.