Ampeg 8x10 VS. Hartke 8x10

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by punkindrublic, Feb 11, 2006.

1. punkindrublic

Dec 10, 2005
    Hey guys,
    I got a question that im sure has been asked a thousand times by other people wanting to upgrade there rigs... Im debating between the ampeg 8x10 and the hartke 8x10 or two 4x10s.. Any thoughts? Im running a kustom groove bass head with a p-bass and warwick corvette standard passive... Cost isnt really a big deal.. I just need something thats going to allow me to have a loud, but clearly defined tone... :bassist:
  2. hartke will allow you to be loud
    ampeg will allow you to be loud AND have clearly defined tone. The ampeg cabs sound, respond and are built to a higher standard than any hartke unit (in my opinion of course) and would be a worthwhile investment.
  3. Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Those two cabs are very different in many respects, have you tried either? You'd want to try them both before you decided, you may find either of them to your taste or even neither. Around here it's likely that many people will suggest the Bergantino NV610 as an alternative to the Ampeg which is lighter, more compact and allegedly (never played one) sound far better. They're about to be discontinued though.
  4. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    I prefer the's been around for a loooong time (for a good reason too!)
    BUT, Have you considered alternatives to such a large cabinet? I have an Ampeg 8x10, but I don't take it to shows's too heavy and cumbersome. Instead, I bought a Schroeder 310212. Smaller, lighter and louder and more defined than the Ampeg. Like the poster earlier said, the Bergantino 6x10 is also a good replacement. The Ampeg 6x10 isn't quite as loud as the 8x10, but it's really close...and not as heavy. Just something to think about.
    2 -4x10's don't sound like an 8x10. I don't know the physics of it, but it just doesn't sound the same. It may be what you are after, though. Try it out...try a 4x10 and a 15" or 18" cab also. These are easier to cart around and you can break em up for smaller club shows.
    As long as cost isn't an issue, go into the store and just start going to town on all the cabinets. That's how I ended up with my 8x10"
    Good Luck!
  5. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD

I'm not a fan of either brand, but IMHO the Hartke will be WAY more defined than the Ampeg. But that's just me.
  6. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Hartke and Ampeg are complete tonal opposites. Hartke is very Hi Fi and glassy on the upper register. The Ampeg is more vintage sounding and lacks a ton of bass. I havn't used the Hartke enough to know how good the bass response is, but the cabs I have used before by Hartke were just not good sounding overall. Instead of either, I wouold highly suggest either a Bergantino 610 if you like the warm vintage sound or a Schroeder or Eden or SWR if you like a more Hi Fi approach.
  7. lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    lacks a ton of bass? granted, I haven't tried a whole lot of 8x10s, but my ampeg cab has way more bass than I need. It shakes my house.
  8. Daytona955i

Feb 17, 2005
    Albany, NY

9. i was confused by the lacking of bass comment aswell.

In my opinion the Ampeg adds a sufficient amount of bass without being uncontrollable, and its subtle highs are more pleasing to the ear than the 'glassy' hartke sound you refer too.
  10. The reason he said the ampeg lacks a lot of bass is because the ampeg 810 is NOT a full range cabinet. It is voiced for mids and rolls the bass off earlier than most bass cabs. This is one of the main reasons that it has always stayed popular, because while being voiced for mids and it's size, it sits very well inside a band situation and cuts through well. It is what shapes it's tone, and for a lot of people that's a good thing. For some people, they want a more full range cabinet, I almost always tell people who dream of an ampeg 810 to do more shopping around for that reason.

Also, if price isn't important, do a LOT more looking, there are lots of higher quality 810's, 412's, 215's and other large cabs out there.
  11. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    For clarification, I am sure the Ampeg 810 would most likely be fine for a 4 string, but I play a 5 and find that the 810 doesn't have the low end of many other cabs such as a Bergantino 610 or an Aguilar 412 or even an Ampeg 215 or 610. This is why I always insist on using my Bergantino 610 instead of the backline 810 at shows, even if it means lugging an extra piece of gear on and off the stage.
  12. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN

IMHO Hartke cabs are probably the most unmusical pieces of furniture I have ever tried to play through.
  13. Daytona955i

Feb 17, 2005
    Albany, NY
    I don't know what it is, your EQ, your bass, whatever, but I can't go to a metal/hard rock/hardcore gig without seeing an Ampeg 8x10 being used and used hard!

I'm talking about using basses with the top string tuned to Low C, B and even A, and they put out thundering lows knocking pictures off the walls and possibly crushing small animals mid flight.

Maybe it's just me, but how much more low end does something need to put out?

Is it lack of low end at the volumes that you gig at?
  14. Cabs roll off below a certain frequency, what this means is it gets significantly less volume below those frequencies.

The Ampeg 810 handles between 60Hz(at a noticable difference in volume -3db)to a maximum of 5KHz. It is only usable down to 40Hz at.

Compare that to an Eden 810 that handles 52Hz without -3db cut all the way up to 14KHz

Compare that to a Bergantino 610 that handles 48Hz - 5KHz

Compare that to an Aguilar 412 that handles 37Hz - 16KHz

Compare that to the GK neo 412 that handles 36Hz - 19Khz

The ampeg vs the GK neo is 60Hz-5KHz vs 36Hz-19KHz, that's a very big difference in sound.
  15. cool, i wasnt aware that the GK cabs responded down to 36Hz...!

I would still argue though that even if the Hartke cabs had a wider range of response, and greater bass response, they still arent going to sound anywhere near as good to an Ampeg 610 or 810... simply due to them having a greater build quality, all round. (Again, I stress thats just my opinion).
  16. Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Two suggestions- MarkBass, and EBS. I have an EBS 311, and though it's not as loud as I would like, it certainly has tonal range. I'm waiting (somewhat impatiently, I might add!) for MarkBass to show up here in the States. Should be very soon, from what I hear. Take your head, your bass, and your ears into your music establishment, and try them out.

Schroeders have a very good name around here as well. I wouldn't personally play a Hartke myself, as I don't care for their sound. But, if it works for you, then cool!

My main cabinet is an Avatar B-212.
  17. Daytona955i

Feb 17, 2005
    Albany, NY
    Well, I don't know if specs are really all that comparable here are they? Can't those specs vary greatly between the reported values and the actual real world ones?

Isn't the Ampeg 8x10 different than most other large cabs because it's a sealed cab?
  18. EBMatt

Nov 21, 2003
    Springfield, MA
    I agree. Amped cabs sound way better then hartke cabs IMO. I've owned an SWR workingmans 8x10, an Ampeg classic 8x10, and an Ampeg classic 6x10. The SWR was ok. I didn't really like the Ampeg 8x10 because it wasn't ported, and lacked the warm sound that the 6x10 had. And it was VERY big and VERY heavy. The 6x10 was smaller and lighter, and sounded alot better IMO. I still got rid of the 6x10 though because it was a pain in the ass to move (it's still pretty big). For sound and convenience sake, I would go with an Ampeg 4x10 and 1x15. The two smaller cabs are alot easier to move, and the combination of a 4x10 and 1x15 gives you a great sound. :bassist:
  19. EBMatt

Nov 21, 2003
    Springfield, MA
    If you are willing to spend the money go for Epifani. I have an Epifani 4x10, and it still fills the room like my old 6x10. Alot easier to move, and sounds WAY better. They are amazing cabs.
  20. Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    To be frank, my answer would be neither. I'd personally get a Tech Soundsystems ND612. However, since Tech have no US distribution that isn't an option for you.