Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg 8x6 cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by The 0x, Feb 18, 2004.

1. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    I found this Ampeg SVT-806HE cab on ebay. I've never seen one of these before, does anybody have any information on these? :confused: Looks like Ampeg's giving PJB a little competition. ;)

[​IMG]

2. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    That's an old discontinued cab.

3. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    I've played it. It sucks. I'm sure it would be fine for a small gig, but just playing it in the store, it was breaking up with a G on the low E string.

4. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    To say that it sucks is a little harsh...but that's your opinion...

The SVT-806 is a sealed cabinet with eight 6.5 in rubber surround woofers and a piezo tweeter. There are two jacks on the back of the cabinet, one to engage the tweeter (no level control), one to use the 6.5s without the tweeter.

Size wise, the 806 is like a 3/4 size 8x10. The wood is 5/8 in vs 3/4 so it looks right proportionally, the logo is downsized and the corners are smaller.

The cabinet sounds OK, but is very much lacking low end. A friend posted a nice review of his on www.harmonycentral.com

I owned one for a while (mine was the $300 brand new one that he mentioned) but sold it because I didn't like the tweeter and wanted more low end.

It's a 4 ohm cabinet. It does have kick back wheels like an Ampeg 8x10 but it only has a strap handle across the back, not a towel bar so it's not as comfortable to move.

I have a catalog from that era at home if you need more info...just say the word.

As I wrote, I only paid $300 (plus tax) for a mint-condition brand new cabinet, but sold it for quite a bit more.

Here's a picture with the grille removed...

5. I think it would be best suited for a bi-amped rig.

One of those and a 1x18 ampeg cab.

Killer combo if you ask me.

6. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Ampeg had a small solid state SVT head that mated to the 806, SVT-150T I think was the model. They also offered an 8x8 cab at the time. Neither cab caught on and the dropped them within about a year.

7. Sir Funkalot

Sir Funkalot Phil Jones Bass

I am sure its loud but how do you get it around?