Ampeg Advice

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by americanmade, Feb 12, 2005.

1. americanmade

Feb 12, 2005
    I think I decided that my life will not achieve completion until I own an Ampeg SVT 350 (or the older 200T) head. I absolutely love the tone of this thing. However, I am just starting a new job and am more than a little short on funds. I have heard that Ampegs really only sound good through ampeg cabinets, so it is going to cost me big. Does anybody know a cheaper alternative to Ampeg? I have heard the Ashdown mag series is worth purchasing, but they seem too good to be true. I have never found an Ashdown to play, so I only have other people's advice to rely on. I have played the Behringer Ultrabass which people say is supposed to be great, but I absolutely hated it. I use some slap and pop, which sounds great through SWR, but I hate everything else about those. I want meaty natural tone on a budget. I want a classic bass sound like what ampeg creates, not some modern tinny sound. I play punk (that doesn't mean I suck) and many forms of rock. I do not play metal so I have no interest in anything that is meant for metal. I would like to hear some advice about ashdown from somebody who didn't necesarily already buy it. If anybody has any recommendations for me, please let me know. Thanks.
  2. superfly

Aug 4, 2004
    If you want that true Ampeg tone you gotta go with all Ampeg. Some will disagree, but come on ,the cabs and the heads are just made for each other. They sound right and look right together. An Ampeg SVT head on top of a cabinet thats not an Ampeg just doesn't look right. :D