1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg all tube SVTs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by air_leech, Nov 30, 2006.

1. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel
    hey,

I noticed Ampeg has three all tube amps in production, 2 of which are reissues:

1. SVT II Pro
    2. SVT-CL
    3. SVT-VR

my question is what are the differences between the three, espiceally the CL and VR which seem to incorporate the same preamp that the SVP-CL is based on (as opposed to the SVT II Pro).

thanks,
    Elad.

2. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Roselle, IL
    SVT-VR Made to sound like the 70's SVT: I have not tried it, so I can not comment on it too much.

SVT Classic - Fat and warm sounding with that Ampeg Tube Growl at higher volumes. Gets very loud. Made for the player who does not need many tone controls.

SVT 2 PRO - Tons of Tone shaping options; that's why I have it. Same growly tone of the Classic, but the 2 pro allows the tone to be growly at lower volumes than the Classic. Also, the Classic seems to drop out the low mids and other parts of the your bass tone when you turn way up - you get a very growly tone with reduced boom. The 2 PRO allows you to get that growly tone with any amount of bass, mids and highs you want. The Classic can only do so much tone wise and the extra buttons on the 2 PRO create much more variety than the Classic.

Basically, try the SVT CL out first and find out if you like that. If you don't need more tone controls and like the sound, go for the Classic. If you want more controls, go for the 2 PRO. If you just have to have that 70's sound, give the SVT VR a try.

3. brothernewt

brothernewt Some people call me the stormtrooper of love...

Apr 13, 2004
    Happyrock, OR
    The SVT-VR is the reissue. Based on the same curcuit as the vintage SVT.

The SVT-CL is not a reissue. It's just called "classic"... I don't know why. I guess you could say it's the modern version of the old "classic" SVT. Simple and solid.

The SVT-II Pro is the same pre as the SVP-Pro with a tube power section. More modern, more tonal options.

4. Elionjamz

Elionjamz Supporting Member

Nov 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    Ha "SVT 2", zeh yoter tov mi ha'clasic v gam ha'VR. Ani hoshev sh'yesh lo yoter "beytzim" v'yoter tone. (I don't know how to say tone in hebrew)... Eifo ata menagen ba'aretz? Be'Tel Aviv? Iym ata menagen be moadonim be tel aviv, oolai ata rotze SWR o Eden. Ha SVT, ZE col Cach Gadol.

5. spencer

spencer Guest

Feb 22, 2006
    I agree

6. +1 Ha Ha & a vedooshenday to go with that!!!:D

7. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Roselle, IL
    Can someone please give an English interpretation?

8. Mr Matt

Mr Matt Supporting Member

Jan 18, 2005
    Washington State
    Ampeg SVT-II Pro all the way! :bassist:

9. tadawson

tadawson

Aug 24, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    Klingon????

:D :D :D :D

10. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois

Oh, sure. That's easy for you to say.

11. Elionjamz

Elionjamz Supporting Member

Nov 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    I figured why not answer Air Leech's question in his own language? All those years of hebrew school might as well be applied someplace. I didn't realize it would casue such a reaction...

12. okabass

okabass

Mar 19, 2005
    Finland,Lahti
    Terve vaan!

Minustakin asia on juuri näin. Tyrnävä on maapallon passo keskus, väität sinä ihan mitä vaan. Viljelkää siellä vaan appelsiineja, älkääkä puuttuko ollenkaan basson soittoon. Olen muuten tähän astisista basisteita paras, ettäs tiedät.:hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

13. Warr Tapper

Warr Tapper Banned

Sep 17, 2006
    Work

You stole the marbles right out of my mouth