Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg amp and cab not sounding right

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ASR, Jul 23, 2001.

1. ASR

ASR

Apr 2, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    I have been having some trouble with my set up lately. I have an Ampeg 8x10 cab and an Ampeg B4 amp. I keep all the settings on the EQ right at the midpoint. The amp also has a control knob for the low, ultra-mid, and high. I keep those right around the 3/4 mark, and make my adjustments when necessary on the bass itself.

The problem is, it sounds a bit funny. I checked for cracked or blown speakers in the cab. Basically, it sounds like it has too much highs, but if I reduce the highs, it sounds distorted. This only started after I left my last band and brought the amp/cab back home from the practice room. I really can't give much more info, because I know nothing about these things. If anyone needs a question answered to be able to help, I'll do my best to answer it correctly.

Could it be the battery in the bass or the difference between the practice room's sound dampening and my apartment that is making it sound different?

2. Replace the battery in your bass, then check back.

3. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Well an 8X10 used indoors can make things go wild.
    Look for rattling stuff in your appartment. I believe that "distorting" sound you said could be vibrating things on your apartment due to the high SPL that cab produces.