Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ampeg Amp + Cab combination question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 5stringFanatic, Apr 21, 2005.

1. 5stringFanatic

5stringFanatic

Mar 3, 2004
    NY, USA
    Greetings,

I am days away from purchasing a complete new rig, and i need last minute advice. Not so much advice actually as knowledge, lol.

Cabs: i am definetly getting an Ampeg 6x10HLF with a 210HE
    I was going to power them up with an SVT 4 pro..... i have 2 questions.

Firstly, will this head be powerful enough to power both? and how will this affect my sound? i really know nothing of this Ohm's and RMS, i dont know anything about it..

I was also looking at the B4R, which is a slightly less powerful head from what i understood, and its easier to find it at cheaper prices as well.

Any help is appreciated.

Kind Regards,
    H

2. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    Why the two cabinets?

Main reason for asking is that with just the 610, you could mono bridge and get the full 1200W (or 1000W). That cabinet is good for 600 RMS, and will be fine with the 1200W.

Once you add a 210, which is 8 ohms, you can't mono bridge them together, because the load is too low ohms-wise when paralleled. Series makes no sense.

That would limit you to running with the two cabinets on separate channels, dropping your power to about 800W, 300 into the 210, and 500 into the 610.

That would be OK, but there isn't much point, because the two speakers will also be mis-matched in output. The 210 will get half the power for similar amp outputs, so it won't contribute as much sound-wise.

On top of that, the cabinets use very similar speakers (6 ohm and 4 ohm versions of same basic driver) , so the tone won't be so much different between them.

You could biamp the amp, I guess. but I don't know if that would make enough difference for you.

Either amp would be fine. And the problems mentioned are going to occur with any head, or even with a separate power amp.

I'd re-think the speaker deal, unless you have a specific reason for that choice.