Ampeg Amp Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by darthblav, Jan 3, 2006.

1. darthblav

Jan 28, 2004
    I have an Ampeg B2R Head w/ an Ampeg SVT-410HLF Enclosure. I am looking to get bigger sound and volume w/o necesarily getting a new head. I play indie rock and small to medium size venues. I play a fender jazz deluxe bass. You can hear clips of my sound at

This is the Power Out of the B2R head.
    RMS Power Output (4 ohms): 350 Watts
    RMS Power Output (8 ohms): 200 Watts

Here are the outputs for the SVT-410HLF
    Nominal Impedance: 8 Ohms
    Program Handling: 1000 Watts
    RMS Handling: 500 Watts

Can I add another Cabinet to my head? is a Power Amp the solution?

I am just need help looking at my options and would greatly appreciate any advice.

2. Greg Jones

Greg Jones

Dec 1, 2005
    Thornton, CO
    Get another 8 ohm cab. Another 4x10 or maybe a 1x15.

This will bring the total impedance down to 4 ohms and your head will be pushing the 350W it's capable of.
  3. brothernewt

brothernewt Some people call me the stormtrooper of love...

Apr 13, 2004
    Happyrock, OR
    I'd double check your impedence first... I'm reasonably sure the 410hlf only comes as 4 Ohm... (not that speakers can't be replaced, cabs rewired, or Ampeg didn't make an 8 Ohm version at some point). Just trying to help.. .
  4. AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    My 410HLF was 4 ohm, the HE is 8 ohm, If this is the case, I don't think the B2R can handle a 2 ohm load. I had an SVT 350H which is basically the same, it just has an enclosure istead of being rack mount, and I traded up because of volume.
  5. darthblav

Jan 28, 2004
    Thanks for all the responses. I really appreciate it.

The one thing I do not really get, if the cabinet is 4 ohms which mine is, that means then I can not add another cabinet to get 8 ohms right? My cabinet needs to be 8 ohms or I need to get a head with more power?

If you could clarify that, it would help me out.
  6. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    When you add two 4ohm cabs you've got a 2ohm load. To get a 4ohm load you need two 8ohm cabs. That's because they are connected in parallel and not in series.
  7. Daywalker

Apr 13, 2005
    I had a SVT-3PRO with my 410HLF, and it was really loud. I know you don't want to buy a new head, but you could maybe upgrade to the B2RE which has 100 more watts. If you could sell your B2R for a decent amount, you shouldn't have to pay too much for the B2RE....
  8. funk2live

Jan 4, 2006
    Yeah, you should consider upgrading your head. A bassist always needs a little extra headroom. Especially when you find yourself in an outdoor gig or an open venue. Keep an eye out on ebay. I lucked up and got a sweet setup for about $700(head, tuner, power cond, and rack).
  9. darthblav

Jan 28, 2004
    thanks for the advice. i am not against looking at upgrading. the B2R is a great starter head and i would not mind investing in a better head if it will head me achieve the overall sound I want and enable me to grow in musical equipment.

it seems like my cabinet is not the problem but the limits of my head, correct?

10. funk2live

Jan 4, 2006
    Your cab is a good cab IMO. And the 500w rating is a little conservative. I would save a little cash for a head that could handle your 410 and still have room to expand. Otherwise you may be in this same situation not far down the road if you continue to gig.
  11. I used to have the B2r. When I decided it was time for more watts in my rig I got a power amp (QSC USA900) and connected it to the head. This worked well but it made for a heavy rack. Eventually I sold the B2r and picked up a dedicated preamp. I went through a couple of those and finally settled on an Ampeg SVP-CL. I am a very satisfied customer now and I would upgrade the same way again if I had to do it all over.
  12. I also have a B2R which is really a pretty decent sounding amp but it's WAYYYY underpowered and I don't think it even reaches those specs when I do gigs that are asking for more whoomp I bring a hafler Pro5000 along to blown people's heads off with. I'm good at that point. But the B2R is good for smaller stuff, and it has a good sound as a pre as well. If I needed more whomp ALL the time, then I would rack my Yammie PB-1 with a dbx 160 in with the Hafler and take that around. My chirocracker would sing in happiness....

13. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    I've found that with the B2R, you can get a "decent" volume if you put the master up all the way and then use the pre-gain for your volume control.

I left the limiter activated but I would imagine you could deactivate that for even more volume (but be careful of your speakers).
  14. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    PS-the Fender/B2R setup sounds fine if that is what you used on the recordings.

Nice stuff, kind of reminds me of Guided by Voices.
  15. darthblav

Jan 28, 2004
    thanks for the kind words on the music. that was the set up i used.

i am pretty happy with the sound i get and have not had any problems playing out ever. i just seem to get burned during practices with not getting proper volume. i think i am going to look into an SVT-Pro 3 or one other of the tube ampeg head models. i really like ampeg alot. i use to have a GK head and hated the sound. i love the full sound ampeg delievers, i just feel i have out grown the b2r head and want to evolve to a tube version which will allo me to grow. thanks to alot of the helpful comments, it has confirmed alot of my suspisions.

i read more indepth on the facts and many other post regardly how ohms and cabinets work, and still don't get it. i just need to study more on the subject.

thanks again!
  16. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
  17. two 4 ohm cabs isn't always 2 ohms.

series = 8 ohms (R1+R2)
    parallel = 2 ohms R1*R2/(R1+R2)

18. I usually set the eq high, especially in the midrange bass has very low lows, it has the Aguilar OBP-1 onboard preamp with a 18v battery supply. My gain and master volume are usually around 12 o'clock. If I need more volume, I'll turn the master up, but back off of the gain just a tad, to prevent excessive clipping. It usually does the trick. The red gain clipping light should light up when you hit hard, if it's constantly on, that's no good! Oh yeah, I usually play with the limiter on at first, and if it doesn't light up to often, I'll take the limiter off.
  19. crijan

crijan Supporting Member

Jul 6, 2005
    Dallas, Texas
    Endorsing: JH Audio IEMs
    I got a lot more "volume" out of my B2R by adding an Aphex Bass Xciter pedal. Also improved the tone IMO.

I play a B2R through an 8 ohm Avatar 1x15 and an 8 ohm Avatar 2x10" (cabs in parallel).