1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg amp sounding lifeless.... Help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Warwickluvr, Mar 26, 2006.

1. Warwickluvr

Warwickluvr

Dec 26, 2005
    Hey everybody.

I've had my BA210SP combo for almost a year now and I've never been able to get a full, energetic tone. It sounds "airy" and generally weak. I was wondering if someone could tell me what the problem might be. The only things I can think of are:

Acoustics: I'm playing it mostly in my basement with a low ceiling and a lot of metal heating ducts and such. Maybe this is effecting how I hear it....

The Built-In Effects: I hardly ever use them, but could they be robbing the rest of the amp's power even while turned off?

It's frustrating because I play a Behringer (spelling) at school for jazz band. It's only 100 watts, but it has so much more output than my 220 watt Ampeg. Even my little Fender 25 watt combo has a "fuller" sound.

Also, the amp hisses like crazy. Anything I can do to prevent this?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    I have never used that amp, so all I can do is speculate & bump your thread.

First off, have you ever considered taking it out of the basement and trying the amp in a different setting? That would be a sure way to see if the location is effecting the sound.

The two 10" speakers in that amp are not going to push a lot of air & probably won't reproduce real deep low end. I am guessing the other amps you use may have single 12" or 15" speakers in them? That would likely account for a "fuller" sound.

I just looked at the Ampeg website. The hiss is coming from the piezo tweeter. If there is not an attenuator, disconnect the "+" connection to the tweeter & see how that sounds.

I also read this on the Ampeg site "The five position Style control gives you a choice of five different voices of the amplifiers that you can fine tune with the three bands of rotary EQ." Maybe you need to spend a little more time making eq adjusments, it sounds like there are quite a few options.

Lastly, I am pretty sure the built in effects, on or off, arent robing power from you amp.

Hope this helps

3. el_Kabong

el_Kabong

Jul 11, 2005
    Maybe the speakers are accidently wired out of phase? If you can get at the speaker lead put a 9v battery across the terminals. If the speakers move opposite directions there's a wiring problem. Have you taken it along to the jazz gig? How does it sound there?

4. Warwickluvr

Warwickluvr

Dec 26, 2005
    I'll try taking it elsewhere, but I think it may still hiss. I'm not familar with the inner-workings of amps so that also makes it hard to determine the problem/fix it.

5. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    I dont think theres anything broken, i think its just the tweeter is doing its job... just maybe a bit too well. There are two 10" speakers connected to the amp and the tweeter. Unhook the positve (+) side wire from the tweeter and the hiss will go away. Of course the really high freqs will go away as well, but you may not miss them... I don't.

6. Warwickluvr

Warwickluvr

Dec 26, 2005
    Sounds good, but where is the tweeter on most combo amps? What does it look like? Do I need to take the amp apart a little to find it?

7. Daywalker

Daywalker

Apr 13, 2005
    SOCAL
    I own that amp, and had the same problem about 6 months ago. I took it to a repair shop, and they told me that I had a couple soldering spots come loose and that was the problem. Cost me like $50 to fix, sounds good as new now. Good luck!

8. Warwickluvr

Warwickluvr

Dec 26, 2005
    It gained a more powerful sound? Or it stopped some hissing? Or both?

9. Daywalker

Daywalker

Apr 13, 2005
    SOCAL
    Well, this hiss was ALWAYS and still is there. But the power did come back that's for sure.

10. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    If you are unsure of this, maybe taking your amp apart is a bad idea.

The hiss & volume are two seperate issues. Why not tackle one of them at a time? Start with the volume issue. What you are describing doesnt sound like a cold solder joint to me, but I could be wrong. Take the amp out of the basement & try some variations on the eq settings.

When you get that sorted out, ask an amp tech where the tweeter is located.