Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

AMPEG AMPEG AMPEG

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Godcreep, Nov 7, 2000.

1. Well, I just bought an AMPEG SVT3 PRO with
    1 AMPEG SVT15E cab and 1 AMPEG SVT10HE cab .... :)))
    I tried different amps, and my choice was Hartke (as some of you guys know) last week I went to a store, and I tried the ampeg installation .. :) Well, I bought it .. it sounded so much better than the Hartke stuff ...
    Who is using the same stack and can you tell me your pro's and contra's ?? (I'm playin' fingerstyle so I wanted enough power, and I think I've found it ...)
    Godcreep

2. I have the same speaker cabinets that you do. I bought a SVT-3 and owned it for a week before I got rid of it. It sounded great by itself, but when I took it to practice, I literally could not hear myself. I honestly do not understand why this head is so popular. It seems to be terribly underpowered, but your milage may vary.

Did you get a chance to use it at a show or practice before you bought it? I wish I had, because I would have never bought it.

Pro's - Great sound in your bedroom
    Cons - Lack of power, preset mid scoop

3. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    I own the same exact stack you got a SVT3 A svt 115he a svt 210he through a SansAmp bass DI and I have had it about a year and a half I have had absolutely no problems with mine whatsoever. I play with two guitarist using VOX AC30's (and you know how hard it is to cut through those) in a original band, and I play in a very loud Led Zep tribute band with one guitar player using a Carvin 100 watt stack and I'm alway's heard loud and clear with no problems. I have read all the Ampeg SVT3 bashing going on in a few other post and yes granted there could be a little more power but it's a great sounding amp in my opinion with plenty of power for my aplications. Go with what sounds good to you and what makes your bottom move. Enjoy your new rig!!

4. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I never really liked the svt-3. Just didnt float my boat. Sooo...add 1150 watts and youve got my amp, the svt-4, which i love. The svt-3 always sounded prety weak to me, and im NOT a fan of ampeg cabs (hate em), but to each his own. Its awesome having a big rig, huh? :D Enjoy!