Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ampeg amps...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by intillectualmin, Oct 15, 2002.

1. intillectualmin

intillectualmin

Sep 18, 2002
    do they really hold up that well? ive been hearing a lot of complaints on their durability, i hear they break down quite fast. How has your experience been with ampeg amps?

2. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Had my rig for over a year now. I bought it used. Not a single complaint out of me that involves reliability. Hope that helped.

3. intillectualmin

intillectualmin

Sep 18, 2002
    that did help, but which amp do u have?

4. I've had a SVT3pro for a year and a half, which i bought new, and never had a problem. Always pushing a 4ohm load, and I push it pretty hard. They have a 5 year warranty that is transferrable to other people, so if you buy a new or a used that isn't very old, you should be safe. Just make sure you hold on to the original receipt.

jtbp

5. IMO, Ampegs are built very well. I've only had one problem over the years: before I bought my V4B, I had a SVT III pro. Two of the eight Mosfets 'melted' (or something like that...) and I had to wait for two months on replacements... they had to come from the USA.

6. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Ampeg amps have a 5 year warranty, so if it breaks down in that time you're covered. My current Ampeg amp (B4r) is only about 6 months old, but my back up (SVT200T) is ten years old. That's ten years of steady weekend gigging with only minor problem after about 8 years ( scratchy volume pot etc.... ) which were easily fixed by my local repairman. I didn't baby it at all. Matter of fact abused it a few times. It still works great and sounds great. :cool:

7. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    SVT-350H, yeah it's solid state, but it works!

8. I think you've gotten some bad info. I've never had a problem with any of the Ampeg gear I've owned, including a 1971 V4B, a BA112, a B100R, a B2 combo, and my current rig, a B2R head with SVT48HE cab. I'm sure that here and there someone has had a problem at some point, but I don't think reliability is a widespread problem with Ampegs. Some will tell you only "vintage" Ampegs will do; I've had new and old, and think they're all great. Hope this helps and you join the 'peg club!

Mark

9. intillectualmin

intillectualmin

Sep 18, 2002
    thank you all for your help, i will now have to reconsider the ampegs... im having trouble which amp to go for, the swr workingmans 12, the fender bassman100, or the ampeg b100r. But thanx for all the help guys

10. Flight Time

Flight Time

Aug 29, 2002
    I've had various Ampeg equipment for three years using it a minimum of twice a week. I've never had problems with the equipment. I sold my B2R earlier this year and went to a SVT-PRO and power amp because I wanted more of a tube sound and not due to reliability issues. Anything can break....the Ampeg warranty is a plus.

11. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I have had my SVT4PRO for well over a year now, and have not had one hint of a problem with it.

12. Boozy

Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    does that 350H sound like cannibal corpse song the bleeding? i like that bass sound..

just thought i'd ask.

cheers all :)

13. I think those are all fine amps, but I'd also throw the Ampeg BA115 in the mix. This is a great amp, and has more features than the B100R, such as an XLR out, a tweeter, tilt-back function, and just gives more of a variety of sounds. So, between these 4, that's the one I'd go with.

14. jbasser206

jbasser206

Jul 31, 2002
    Western NY
    Durability ??!!!! I have a 63 B-15 Portaflex which is original down to the tubes I have had it thirty years now ( wow!!! am I getting old) use to for practice and small gigs and have never had a problem !!!

15. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    I have no idea. Maybe? Never heard the song. Sorry.

16. intillectualmin

intillectualmin

Sep 18, 2002
    thanx a lot for the help. Ill definitely check that one out..

17. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    Absolutely reliable. My current SVT III Pro has been going continuously since 1994 without a hiccup. Earlier had a V6B. Sounded like ****, but it never, ever, died.

Kim

18. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    Absolutely reliable. My current SVT III Pro has been going continuously since 1994 without a hiccup. Earlier had a V6B. Sounded like crap, but it never, ever, died.

Kim

19. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    Sorry bout the double post. I got "edited" and just wanted to see how far I could go :oops:)

20. PICK

PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    No, Not really. You would find it easier to get that kind of growl using tubes. He uses an Ampeg Classic into an Ampeg 810 live. I find that his live sound is very, very similar to his recorded sound.
    The Bleeding is an awesome album too.