Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg and Carvin

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bryan_G, Nov 15, 2000.

1. Bryan_G

Bryan_G

Apr 28, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    I am thinking about getting an ampeg svt810 cab, and pushing it with a carvin r1000. I just want some more input before I buy something that I haven't heard. Will the 810s handle the 1000watts? I played with a r600 going into the rl410's and rl115 and it was way to much for those 410s. I like the sound that the ampegs have and don't want to loose it because of a bad choce of head. Oh yah and don't suggest a head that costs twice as much as the carvin cause, price is an object I can't spend any more than $1400.

-chronicpain

2. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    If you don't drive the head too hard, I think the cab will do alright. The head is 1000 W RMS, no? The SVT-810E is rated at 800 W RMS, which means that pushing the head (at 4 ohms bridged) to its limit for sure will damage the speakers. But then, unless you play major gigs without PA, there's no reason to turn the knobs to 10, unless you want to go deaf. :)

3. Bryan_G

Bryan_G

Apr 28, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    WOW!!!! I bought the cab a few weeks back and just got the head in yesterday I have practiced twice with it and my my my.. Its nice. After playing with the head for 4 or 5 hours I managed to come up with a really nice sound. The 810's have really good low response and with the 3 eq's on the carvin you can get anything with it. It makes me want to dance. :D but the cab is really heavy, I guess its that yen and yang thing going but its worth it.

4. Jeffrey A-Bomb

Jeffrey A-Bomb Drink Coffee & Destroy Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2000
    Silver Spring, MD
    I have an r1000 amp right now to and it's great.. I have no complaints and really enjoy it's versatility and tone =]

5. MikeyD

MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    9 out of 10 doctors agree: the R1000 is a nice amp! I'm sure it must work really well with the 810 cabinet, but it can certainly overheat the speakers if you run it bridged and let it clip for too long. If you run it cleanly (no clipping), it will probably be just fine. At about 165 lbs., that cabinet would be a challenge to move up/down stairs. Now I understand the UserName, "ChronicPain"! :)