1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg and Eden issue treble hiss.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TUEP, Dec 4, 2017.

1. TUEP

TUEP

Apr 8, 2007
    I just got my Eden 410 SSC today. I am playing a Ampeg SVT 2 non-pro and I notice when I pull the trouble up past noon I get a really bad hiss. I can't really even use the ultra high on the amplifier. I am using two active basis both with p&j setups a Spector Legend and a Ibanez sr800 on the legend you can hardly even touch the treble boost without getting a terrible hiss. I'm wondering if my pickups are not too close to the strings as I often times but just to pickups higher to the strings. But I would not think this would be an issue with active pickups. The low in in mid-range is very good and it's very boomy, I'm just trying to figure out what I I need to do to utilize more treble.

2. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

Have you tried turning down the horn?

dseries-crossover-crop-u28045.jpg

LowActionHero likes this.
  3. TUEP

TUEP

Apr 8, 2007
    Mine does not have the horn.

4. Killed_by_Death

I had a similar problem with an E series 1x12", due to the whizzer cone.
    Not quite sure what Eden does for the higher frequencies in their 4x10", but the specs say they have a freq. response up to 11 kHz :wideyed:

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
  5. TUEP

TUEP

Apr 8, 2007
    Yeah that is kind of high for bass guitar do you think it might be something to do with the speaker response? Or could it have something to do is just the frequencies are rated at?

6. Killed_by_Death

Those speakers are designed for extended range, so I'm guessing you'll just have to get used to the hiss or keep the treble knobs rolled off.

7. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I assume you mean the 410SC4? That's weird that it does 11k and it doesn't use a tweeter. Doesn't look like wizzer cones, either. Wonder how the speakers work.

8. bobcruz

bobcruz

Mar 10, 2004
    CA
    Nah, they're whizzers.

9. TUEP

TUEP

Apr 8, 2007
    What are these whizzers you speak of?

10. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    They're like two cones in one...one does the usual woofer thing, the other does highs above what the woofer can do.

11. TUEP

TUEP

Apr 8, 2007
    Oh that might explain it. You does think lowering the pickup woofer height and switching to softer nickel strings might help.

12. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Nope. It's still going to be a cab with wizzer cones.

13. TUEP

TUEP

Apr 8, 2007
    So is this common with these cones?

14. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    It's common with any rig that whenever you turn up a particular frequency range, you also turn up its corresponding noise floor. And since treble frequencies are the easiest to hear, they're always going to be noisier the more you turn them up. This is why reductive EQ is more popular with sound engineers than additive EQ.

15. InhumanResource

InhumanResource

Dec 28, 2012
    Depending on how high the treble on your bass is, pulling it up past noon on the amp may just be too much high frequency noise. Do you have the treble cranked on your instrument's preamp too?

16. road-cat1

road-cat1 Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2008
    Mesa, AZ
    The speakers can not produce a HISS, they can only REPRODUCE it. The hiss is coming from your amp and or bass guitar electronics. In my opinion (and experience) the amp is the culprit. The cabinet can only reproduce what it is being fed and not create it. Bass guitars can give off SOME level of hiss in the higher frequencies but I have never had it be a terrible distraction from the overall bass guitar balance. Have you tried any other amplifiers with the cabinet? I think that if you UNPLUG the bass from the amp, that you will still hear the hiss. And, that will answer your question about where the hiss is coming from .

BZadlo likes this.
  17. Korladis

Korladis Inactive

You could get a graphic EQ pedal and just drop the highest band(s) all the way.

18. sawzalot

sawzalot Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2007
    You've just got your treble controls turned up too high, or the amp itself is noisy. The whizzer cones on this cabinet are just reproducing the noise coming out of your amp. Probably turning up the treble and the ultra high is too much--those controls are designed for cabinets without tweeters or whizzer cones.

Tom

19. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Mount Prospect, IL
    Tweeters take over around 4khz which means the range between 900hz and 3khz is typically coming through the other speakers. You keep saying you want high end, but I think you are going the wrong direction here. If you want great pick playing and finger style clarity, focus more in the 900hz to 3khz range with only a little boost or none at all above 4khz. Keep your high end boosts to a minimum or nothing on the basses. Try raising that 2khz EQ slider before you boost everything way high trying to get what you want.

JimmyM likes this.
  20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 27, 2021