1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg AUB-1 "Danko Bass"

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DonnieC, Mar 12, 2008.

1. DonnieC

DonnieC

Apr 19, 2007
    I'm looking (and have been looking for years) for a 1960's ampeg AUB-1 fretless bass. It was the first fretless bass guitar and seems to be even rarer than I thought.

I play in a 9 piece rock band and play both URB and bass guitar but it is getting to be too much to carry around. I think the AUB1 might be the middle ground I'm looking for.

I'd be willing to trade my current upright bass (Czech plywood top with Biesele pickup) and electric bass (Fender jazz) for one of these old AUBs.

Does anyone (or anyone who knows anyone) care to lend some info on where I can find one?

thanks.

2. glivanos

glivanos Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2005
    Philadelphia Area
    Have you been checking eBay?

A few fretted models were just on auction.

You could always convert them to fretless.

3. DonnieC

DonnieC

Apr 19, 2007
    I have been tempted in the past to check out the AEB1 but am wary about compromising the integrity of the neck by defretting. Should I be worried about that at all? Also, the way I understood it was that the AUB1 had a thicker, more URB kind of neck while the AEB was a thinner more fenderish neck.

Do you know if that is the case?

4. Mr.Phil

Mr.Phil

Apr 9, 2005
    Upstate NY
  5. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
  6. DonnieC

DonnieC

Apr 19, 2007
    I saw that and it looked interesting though I wonder how much they're trying to capitalize on an appearance over a specific sound.

@iamthebassman - How do you find the sound? I realize the fretted version will be a different sound, but do you find it remains true to the old ampeg sound? I realize that much of Music From Big Pink and other late 60s recordings depend on the recording as much as the instrument, but yet there can certainly be a substantial discrepancy.

7. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    I got it 'cause I'm a huge Danko fan, the fretless isn't available lefty and I've got enuff fretless basses already. The easiest way to describe the tone, and this may be an oversimplification but I'd say P-bass with more low-end and slightly less highs.
    eastwood004.
    eastwood002.

8. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    you could try snagging one of the 'reissues' from this guy..... then you wouldn't have to worry about taking a rare vintage instrument around to gigs...

9. DonnieC

DonnieC

Apr 19, 2007
    @ iamthebassman - Thanks for that. Do you gig with the Eastwood? How does it fare cranked up?

@ The Lurker - I've been looking into those. They seem like my best bet lest an original fall into my lap for less than $10,000.

10. Marcury

Marcury High and Low

Aug 19, 2007
    Mid Hudson Valley, NY
    Eastwood is the way to go for low budget and Bruce Johnson is the way to go otherwise. As you already know the real deal is as hard to come by as the proverbial hen's tooth.

11. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Yes, I really like it, just received it last Thursday and have only had one gig since then but it sounded very punchy, and the notes were very even all the way up the neck.
    My band's picking up the award for Best Cover Band(for the 6th time) tonight at the Austin Music Awards.

12. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
  13. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

I would consider getting an eastwood but I would really like a Bruce Johnson.

14. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    I played one of the prototype Ampegs briefly a number of years ago. They were really difficult beasts to play, since the neck was designed more like an upright - narrow at the body, and wider towards the headstock.

Given the numerous mods that the originals were given, I'd be more likely to get one of Bruce Johnson's versions.

So...I'm waiting for mine to get here this year. I ordered it last fall. Can't wait for it. I got the fretted model.

And, there's an extremely good chance that if you find an original Ampeg, Bruce has either worked on it, or knows about it.

15. MAJOR METAL

Where is the best place to get one of those ?

16. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    I ordered mine direct from Eastwood in Canada, but their website has a list of dealers.

17. jbiscuti

jbiscuti

Dec 22, 2007
    NYC / LA
    Endorsing Artist: Grolsch Strap Locks
    I've never tried one of the fretless ones but I played with an original fretted one for quite a while at a shop in Brooklyn some months back. Would have walked out with it if the price wasn't so damn high. It sounded unlike anything I had ever heard before. Just awesome.

18. MAJOR METAL

Where in Brooklyn ?

19. bkbirge

bkbirge

Jun 25, 2000
    Houston, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    +1 on Bruce Johnson, there really is no other choice if you want the real deal sound and feel but in a better constructed instrument than the originals IMO. I've been jonesing for one of his short scales too.

20. aquateen

aquateen

Apr 14, 2005
    maryland
    I play in a 9 piece rock band and play both URB and bass guitar but it is getting to be too much to carry around. I think the AUB1 might be the middle ground I'm looking for.

what about an electric upright? plenty available and it's gotta be easy to transport.