1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg AV210 - Changing Speakers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jobu3, Dec 7, 2011.

1. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    I have an Ampeg AV210.

It's 8 Ohms.

I can't use it stand alone with my SVT-CL.

I was thinking of switching the speakers out for a couple of tens that would give me a small, sealed 4 ohm cab.

I'm looking for a crunchy natural overdriven sound. I'm almost thinking guitar speakers. I don't need it to be very loud or deep.

Thoughts? Recommendations?

2. testing1two

testing1two Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    Why not? If it's not loud enough you need to add more speakers. Changing the cabinet's total impedance to 4 ohms won't really affect the SPL since your SVT puts out 300W at 4 or 8 ohms.

In general, speaker swapping is an expensive gamble unless you have extensive knowledge of speaker and enclosure design parameters and how they contribute to the sound of the finished cab.

I would just get a second 210AV.

3. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    SVT-CLs only have taps for 4 and 2 ohm, no 8 ohm taps. And he's here TO get help with picking speakers... no need to berate him and everything. It sounds like he's just trying to make due with a setup to work at low volume.
    I can't help you with the speakers, OP. Good luck! Might be best to buy a sealed 2x10 cab that is 4 ohm, but I don't know what options, if any, there are there.

4. Rewire the speakers internally into 4ohms?

5. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    At best OP might be able to re-wire to 2 ohm, but I would bet that these are 2x16 ohm in parallel.

6. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    I have a Heritage 810. That gives me more volume than I need for anything. I'm not looking for SPL. Just the opposite actually.

I also have a ported 4 ohm 112 due tomorrow which will give me yet another option in terms of volume and voicing.

I'm really looking for a crunchy gritty inefficient low volume option that will let me crank it up and be all gnarly and dirty and righteous sounding without getting the cops called (again) and be able to reamp for some grit when recording.

I'll probably end up going the LDS route in the end but want to try this with what I have.

7. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    And yes my head can only do 4 and 2 ohms and the speakers are both 16 ohms wired to 8.

I'd rather not buy a 2nd av210 as I prefer their voicing for ss amps. Love them. Great little cabs. Just not in this application.

8. GrowlerBox

GrowlerBox

Feb 10, 2010
    Nude Zealand
    Maybe the Eminence BP102? It also comes in a 4 ohm version if you wanted a 2 ohm cabinet. I don't know exactly the dimensions of your cabinet, but this appears to work well in a smaller sealed type cabinet like yours.

Other contributors will know far more about this than I do, however.

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    BP102 only does 2k on the top end, bro. I'd probably just try a couple Delta 10a's in it. Cheap, good freq response, works in sealed or ported cabs...

10. GrowlerBox

GrowlerBox

Feb 10, 2010
    Nude Zealand
    See, there you go. I knew someone better informed would step in. Who better than Captain Ampeg?

Cheers, Jimmy!

Edit: should have looked more closely at that graph and not stopped at the B810!

11. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Jensen Mod 10-50s.

12. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Oh yeah, didn't think of those.

13. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    So after re-reading this thread, I feel compelled to tell you that you're still not going to be able to dime an SVT into a 210, so if you're looking for power tube overdrive, you're not going to get it. You could run the speakers past xmax, but that's a bit of a dangerous game to play because you never know when you're going to spike it and blow a speaker.

14. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Was sort of exaggerating on the cranking it.

I had one of my basses in to a local shop to check out some heads and their employee tried it out through a Mesa guitar amp and it was very Lemmy-esque at a decent volume. If I can get about half of that without having to get a second head or build a custom inefficient cab through LDS or somewhere, I'm happy. I'm looking to not take a beating on shipping out the av but that said, I don't mind experimenting with new speakers and keeping it. I need things to do to keep me out of trouble.

I'm looking for as much grind and crunch with as little overall volume as possible. Almost like a Randall or eden isolation box but that isn't isolated by being completely internal. Think of adding a second track run through a Marshall guitar rig for more top end. Not exactly gig worthy but a cool tool to have in the shed.

15. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    And I do completely understand there is going to be compromise on my part on a number of levels here that there just won't be a set of speakers that will do exactly what I want in this particular box. I'm just looking to get as close as possible.

16. It just seems to me that a second AV cabinet is the simplest way to go. The money that you invest in new drivers will leave you with the original drivers hanging around. They'll be easy to damage. Putting the same money plus a bit into a second cabinet will give you a better match to your SVT both in impedance and in actual capabilities.

You can then sell them both when you find something you like better.

17. paul_s

paul_s

Jan 12, 2008
    Winnipeg, MB
    If you're going to replace the speakers I'd recommend the Eminence Legend B810s, I have four in a fliptops sealed 4x10 that I'm breaking in, they sound excellent.

18. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    I agree...get a second one with that big amp if you want to crank it a bit more. Now if you just want to use the single cab at a reasonable volume, then rewire the 2 4 ohm speakers from series (8 ohm) to parallel (2ohm). Keep your ear open and don't damage the speakers.
    Wes

Wes

19. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    Can't.

20. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Thanks for the replies. Keep em coming.

To reiterate: I'm looking to crank and not get a lot of volume. Not your typical request.