1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

ampeg b-100r, is an amp power cord fixable or changeable?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Richard Sabines, Nov 5, 2012.

  1. Richard Sabines

    Richard Sabines

    Sep 25, 2007
    is an amp power chord fixable or changeable? I got a sweet Ampeg b-100r, but the previous owner get rid of the grounded piece of the power cord and it makes a little noise, I guess with the normal grounded 3 piece cord it will be fine
  2. Stephent28

    Stephent28 Supporting Member

    Feb 1, 2005
    C470, CO
    Yes, just rewire it from the initial connections on the amp.
  3. Richard Sabines

    Richard Sabines

    Sep 25, 2007
    looking inside of the control panel the cord is attached to various cables, I don't want to mess it up
  4. oerk


    Oct 16, 2009
    Then take it to a tech. Shouldn't be expensive. Tinkering with mains voltage can be lethal.

    Doesn't have to be an amp tech, every electrician should be able to fix it.
  5. walterw

    walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

    Feb 20, 2009
    so it's fine up to the actual plug?

    anybody with a clue about these things could snip that plug off and install a new one from the hardware store, easy peasy.
  6. LHbassist


    Apr 4, 2003
    Reno, Nevada
    You can buy a heavy duty, but cheap three prong plug at any Home Depot, Lowes, or any Ace or other hardware store. I've replaced these numerous times over the years. There's NO danger if you simply cut the old plug off, and strip back the insulation on the wires. The terminals the wires will go to are screw type. Any handyman could do it for 10 bucks, if you cannot. It is exactly the same operation for any appliance that uses a standard 110 v. plug! There is a black, white and green wire- ask someone in the store where they go on the new plug you just bought.
    Like repairing the end on a 1/4" cable, same thing. And, of course- make sure the plug is not still connected to the wall when you cut it off!

    A complete new a/c cord can also be installed in the amp itself. If the cable is fine up to the plug, then it's an easy fix, as described above.
  7. anderbass


    Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    LHbassist is right. If you carried your B100R into most any Ace hardware store and bought a replacement grounded plug, they'd prolly instal it if you asked. (for free) Most of those Ace hardware store guys will go out of their way to be helpful like that!
  8. BassmanPaul

    BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

    Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    I would like to add that you should purchase the best quality plug you can find. The "Hospital" style of plug is much better than the common rubber types.
  9. Sounds like you only need to replace the plug, the very best are made by Hubbell...

    Personally, I found the original cord too stiff, so I replaced the entire cord with a better quality, more flexible one. Not a tough job apart from sgueezing the strain relief in & out.

    Good luck!
  10. Andyman001

    Andyman001 Supporting Member

    Feb 11, 2010
    Most replacement plugs are color coded. Black wire to the brass colored screw, white wire to the silver colored screw, and green wire to the green colored screw.