Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ampeg b 100r onstage

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by barroso, Jul 22, 2001.

1. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    i'd like to share your comments on gig played through this little but loud amp. i love it both with my thunderbird and my rickenbacker! 100w but a lot of tone and voulme output.

2. steinbergerxp2

steinbergerxp2 Guest

Jul 11, 2001
    I have been pleased with mine. I've used it as a stage monitor a few times and taken a signal out of it for the PA and it worked well. It is pretty loud for a 100w amp.

3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    It's a deceptive little combo

4. I tried one at Mars the other day and boy was I impressed. This little combo can certainly hold its weight, and it is pretty fairly priced. I have even thought of picking one up myself..

jtbp

5. Yes, they're kick ass little amps. I've seen several bands gig with these using the direct line out...could hear the bass loud and clear in a medium sized club/bar. I'm really sorry I sold mine!

6. yes, it's a great amp. And here's what I did....I wired it up so that I can use it as a combo, or just as a cab, so I can use my tube head with it. Sounds just like a B-15 like this.

interesting, though, when I opened 'er up, I found that the speaker was wired with the polarity being wrong. I wondered why it didn't sound quite right to begin with. After switching it, it's now much louder and with better bass.

And don't you love the look of the blue-check tolex?

' course, now my warranty's dead....oh well.

Mark

7. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    Mark
    interesting solution! i have thought about a modification on my b 100r: i have an old ampeg cab with horn, 10" and 15" speaker. i'd like to add to the combo an additional speaker output to use it with this cab.
    back to your modification, can you tell me something more? i have a tube head (i use that head with the ampeg cab i was speaking about) too and it could be really interesting do what you have done.
    this amp is great in my opinion because it's easy to have a great sound from it. the knobs are really useful and the output volume is really high, even if the wattage is rated at 100w. i sold an ampeg svt3pro because i wasn't satisfied with the sound and volume. with a lot of surprise i found in the b100r what i did not find in the svt3 pro.
    by the way, i love the blue check tolex!!

8. Barroso,

what I did was take the speaker out, install a 1/4" female phono plug on the back of the cabinet, wire the speaker to it, and replace the speaker. Then, on the amp side, I took the wires (that was going to the speaker) and soldered a 1/4" plug to ithem, and wrapped the two wires together with electrical tape so they stay together. I ran this "cord" outside of the amp so that it will reach the female jack on the cab. But if I want to use another head, I just unplug the combo's amp from the speaker, and plug in the head. Whammo, instant
    B-15 but with 100 watts (the head is a V4B).

Oh yeah, don't forget impedance!!!, the speaker of the rocketbass is 4-ohm.

Mark

9. steinbergerxp2

steinbergerxp2 Guest

Jul 11, 2001
    My "hack" on the B100R is forced air cooling. There is a back cover on the amp about 5"x17" if memory servces, held on with 4 screws.

I cut a piece of masonite the same size and mounted a 110v computer fan on it. When I expect to push the amp loud for a long time, I put on the fan-cooled back and it stays nice and cool.

10. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I've cranked mine for full sets without any heat issues. That's one of the things that's amazed me about it.

Of course running cooler couldn't hurt.

11. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    steinbergerxp2:
    i never had a problem with this amp, still sounds great. do you have had problems with the heat?
    is your mod working well?