Ampeg B-100R owners: Does yours make a *pop* sound after you power it off?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by zombywoof5050, Dec 12, 2004.

1. zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    I just bought a B-100R, couldn't resist the 12 months no payments/interest plan (+ free castors).

It was in a perfectly undamaged factory sealed box, and I didn't have time to open/try it, so I just took it home unopened. From all the reviews I've read I had no doubt that I would love the sound, so I bought it without even listening to it, and I am VERY happy with the amp.

What I need to know is if it's normal for the B-100R to give a small *pop* sound about 2-3 seconds after turning off the power.

Over all the years, I have seen many different amps act similarly, I've seen some amps that make a *pop* sound when you turn them on and others that do it when you turn the amp off, so if this is normal for the B-100R then I'm not going to worry about it.

So, is this normal for the B-100R, for it to give a *pop* sound about 2-3 seconds after powering it off?
    Does your B-100R do that?

2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
  3. JonTheBassGuy

Dec 12, 2004
    My B-50R does that. Maybe its something that happens with Ampeg amps?
  4. My SWR WM 12 did that.
  5. I've owned two B-100Rs (still own one) and both pop. Oddly, my brother's doesn't.
  6. Mine's done that since day one. I've read somwhere in one of the forums that most B100R's make that popping sound when powered off.

I've had mine for over a year and it's been great! I gig bar rooms with it and Mic' it into the P.A. for bigger venues. :bassist:
  7. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    My BA-115SP does that.
  8. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Mine pops like that as well, always been curious about it, but never seemed to cause any harm.
  9. rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Had mine for 3 years and it's been popping ever since. I wouldn't worry about it. :bassist:
  10. MingusBass

MingusBass Commercial User

Sep 27, 2004
    Fort Wayne,Indiana
    Sweetwater Sound-Sales
    Mine also pops when you power it down.

sounds great though...

11. main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    Yep, mines a "popper" too. I never noticed it until you mentioned it.
  12. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    All amps pop, its just that some automatically turn off the speaker output when you turn it off.
  13. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    My B100R does this, but I always turn the volume all the way down BEFORE turning off any of my amps. I'm spectacularly anal this way.
  14. Jimbo

Dec 4, 2000
    Philadelphia, PA
    hmm my b-100r doesn't pop