Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg B-100R

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Casey C., Dec 15, 2000.

1. Casey C.

Casey C.

Sep 16, 2000
    Butler, PA, USA
    Im getting one from UGBM.com and thought I would ask if anyone had tried one out or has one? How good do they sound? Ive heard alot of good stuff about them so i figured that it would be a good amp.

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I have heard nothing but good things about them.

They are supposedly very loud for their size and power.

I have demo'd one a couple of times(obviously not at full volume:D) and thought that it had a decent clean sound, as well as a fair approximation of the 'Ampeg sound'.

Very good deal for the price, from what I've heard.

3. spoolie

spoolie

Nov 30, 2000
    Used one for 2 years. Only stopped using it recently when I bought a Mesa. It was a very good amp, never had the first problem with it, sounded great, and it IS loud for the power rating. Not a slappers dream but very solid for almost any other use. I think this is one of the best amps you can get for under $600 (and way under $600 at that). Always gets good reviews for good reason. Congrats.

4. Bernie

Bernie

Dec 12, 1999
    Pretty nice amp.I prefer the BA-115(have one) which can do the 100 type sound as well and is a few bucks less.Good luck!

5. Old Blue

Old Blue

Mar 18, 2000
    Texas
    Very cool medium powered combo with great tone, lots of volume and a nice retro look. This is a lot of amp for the money.

6. Casey C.

Casey C.

Sep 16, 2000
    Butler, PA, USA
    thanks guys, i can't wait to get it now! i just sent my old gear to them today.

7. Got one! Had it for two years. Great sound. Great reliability.

I have almost quite using it though over the last six months simply because I've gone to using heads a cabinets because I needed more power for the places we've been playing. I'm on verge of selling it. Not because of problems, but simply I've got more gear than I can use and I hate to see stuff sitting around not used.

This amp can handle small to medium places with no problem though.

8. I prefer the sound of the BA-115, but man, I wish my amp looked like the B-100R. As far as medium sized combos go (I guess stuff like the Eden Metro and SWR Super Redhead would be the type of amps in the big combo range) I don't think you can beat the looks of the B-100R. It would be a great amp for someone that doesn't slap.

9. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I slap and I use one, but I agree... the BA-115 with the tweeter may be more to someone's liking who is into the slap sound that's prevalent today.