1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ampeg B-100R

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Casey C., Dec 15, 2000.

1. Casey C.

Casey C.

Sep 16, 2000
    Butler, PA, USA
    Im getting one from UGBM.com and thought I would ask if anyone had tried one out or has one? How good do they sound? Ive heard alot of good stuff about them so i figured that it would be a good amp.

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

I have heard nothing but good things about them.

They are supposedly very loud for their size and power.

I have demo'd one a couple of times(obviously not at full volume:D) and thought that it had a decent clean sound, as well as a fair approximation of the 'Ampeg sound'.

Very good deal for the price, from what I've heard.

3. spoolie

spoolie

Nov 30, 2000
    Used one for 2 years. Only stopped using it recently when I bought a Mesa. It was a very good amp, never had the first problem with it, sounded great, and it IS loud for the power rating. Not a slappers dream but very solid for almost any other use. I think this is one of the best amps you can get for under $600 (and way under $600 at that). Always gets good reviews for good reason. Congrats.

4. Bernie

Bernie

Dec 12, 1999
    Pretty nice amp.I prefer the BA-115(have one) which can do the 100 type sound as well and is a few bucks less.Good luck!

5. Old Blue

Old Blue

Mar 18, 2000
    Texas
    Very cool medium powered combo with great tone, lots of volume and a nice retro look. This is a lot of amp for the money.

6. Casey C.

Casey C.

Sep 16, 2000
    Butler, PA, USA
    thanks guys, i can't wait to get it now! i just sent my old gear to them today.

7. Got one! Had it for two years. Great sound. Great reliability.

I have almost quite using it though over the last six months simply because I've gone to using heads a cabinets because I needed more power for the places we've been playing. I'm on verge of selling it. Not because of problems, but simply I've got more gear than I can use and I hate to see stuff sitting around not used.

This amp can handle small to medium places with no problem though.

8. I prefer the sound of the BA-115, but man, I wish my amp looked like the B-100R. As far as medium sized combos go (I guess stuff like the Eden Metro and SWR Super Redhead would be the type of amps in the big combo range) I don't think you can beat the looks of the B-100R. It would be a great amp for someone that doesn't slap.

9. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I slap and I use one, but I agree... the BA-115 with the tweeter may be more to someone's liking who is into the slap sound that's prevalent today.