1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg B-115E vs. SVT-15E

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ToneMonkey, Apr 29, 2010.

1. ToneMonkey

ToneMonkey

Sep 27, 2003
    Newberg, OR
    Aside from price and weight, is there much difference in sound? I'm after that vintage 1-15 sound for use with my Thunderfunk head.

Other suggestions welcome.

Thanks.

2. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith Guest

Sep 9, 2001
    Thunderfunks deserve better cabs. I would think the Aguilar DB112 would give you what your looking for with that head. If you've got it stuck in your head that you want a 15" driver, give serious consideration to a LDS.

3. ToneMonkey

ToneMonkey

Sep 27, 2003
    Newberg, OR
    Schroeder 1215 or 1515?

4. Bumpin up the zombie for an interesting question... what is the difference?

5. redhed

redhed

Oct 25, 2009
    Personally I love my AMPEG Classic 115e, punchy 115 sound. Sounds great with my SVT 3PRO head....

6. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Ampeg's SVT cabs are their "top of the line", while the B series stuff is budget gear. I can attest to the fact that the SVT cabs do in fact, sound better, (to me) than any of the B series cabs. Better in every regard.

7. +1 to that Ric.
    On the subject of the Aggie DB cabs, don't they make a DB 115?
    Seems a good choice to me, if one's after 15"
    But, hey, imo, there ain't much wrong with the SVT115!

8. Lync

Lync

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    I use my Thunderfunk 420 with my Ampeg SVT 1x15 Classic and it sounds great. Great match of amp and cab.

For all practical purposes, the Ampeg should not compare with some higher end 1x15's, but this cab really sounds good. The mids are very sweet. It is kinda heavy, but comes with casters.

9. Lync

Lync

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    Also, for comparison, I have a Carvin BR515N combo which is one of the best IMO (another low-priced gem). But, using the BX500 head with the Ampeg cab sounds fatter. I just keep the Carvin as a combo for ease of use.