1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ampeg B-15-N Bass amp Portaflex Serial #009172

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Lucille Borella, Apr 16, 2018.

1. Lucille Borella

Lucille Borella

Apr 16, 2018
    Newbie here. I have searched around but couldn't find anything. Is there a page here to find the date of our Ampeg B-15-N Bass amp - Portaflex, Serial#009172?

2. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Based on what I've heard, the six digit SN's in the earliest Ampegs were YMMnnn.

So for yours (009172) it would be 1960, 09 or September, number 172 off the assembly line if it were made before 1965 0 or it was made in 1965 if it was newer than that because Ampeg's 1965 amps were numbered 000001 to 020000.

A picture of the front of the amp and some additional info (like the type of speaker inside the cab) would help a bit here in dating things.

3. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    From the mid 50s to the mid 60s this system was used, but as you mentioned they started a new system in 1965-1970 that used 6 digits as well, so a 009xxx number could be a 1960 or it could be a 1965. My 1965 B15N is 004011. Pictures of the amp would help narrow it down for sure.

4. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Yep. 000001-02000 is a 1965 under the new scheme.

Either way, he’s got a B-15N - which is one of the most lusted after bass amps on the planet. So no matter what, it’s a big win for the OP.

Bugeyed Earl and ghostinthemach like this.
  5. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    If it was a 60, the tolex would be navy random flair, and a 65 would have blue diamond.

ghostinthemach likes this.
  6. Lucille Borella

Lucille Borella

Apr 16, 2018
    Thanks! Very helpful. Can't see a name on the speaker. Paper sticker inside repeats Model: B-15-N, Serial no. 009172. I've seen notes of blue checks, but this sure looks black.

7. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    How about a pic of it, and as good a pic of the speaker as you can do? That would settle it.

MattZilla and Lucille Borella like this.
  8. Lucille Borella

Lucille Borella

Apr 16, 2018
    15239884035452822264476539855744. Just a little dusty.

S-Bigbottom and Bugeyed Earl like this.
  9. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    65 definitely, and it looks like one of the last of the double baffle cabs from here. Does kind of look black in that pic, but probably just needs cleaned. Great amp!

coreyfyfe, Lucille Borella and 40Hz like this.
  10. Lucille Borella

Lucille Borella

Apr 16, 2018
    Pic of speaker

11. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Not an original speaker given the year, it would have been a CTS. The Jensen looks like it might be a C15N. Both transformers look original. Often the power transformer has been changed.

Nice amp.

Lucille Borella likes this.
  12. That's a beauty, I'm jealous!

13. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Yep. My best guess without seeing it in the flesh. And what a little sweetie of an amp! Buff it up a bit and watch the desiring eyes as they look on it covetously.

@Lucille Borella - a belated welcome to TalkBass! My eyes were so glazed over at the mention of that amp that I didn’t notice you were a new member. Glad you could join the company. It’s always a pleasure to see a new name.

Lucille Borella and JimmyM like this.
  14. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    That amp is old and dusty... Probably needs work .. you should give it to me . ;)

15. Lucille Borella

Lucille Borella

Apr 16, 2018
    Thanks! Great information quickly

16. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    Lucille you really need to get out your Swiffer and clean up that dust! :(

Meanwhile: Welcome to the ranks of Talk Bass we need more representation from the fairer sex. :) Also to the plethora of B15 series amp owners.

P.S. i have a B15 too. :D

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
  17. BassmanPaul

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    There is a club for B15 owners but after a search I’m damned if I can find it! @JimmyM help.

Your post has made me get offa my tush and take a couple of photos of mine. I forget how to upload them! <sigh> I hate getting’ old! :crying:

18. BassmanPaul

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    This is mine. I use it as a practice amp. :D

Attached Files:

19. rickdog

rickdog Gold Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2010
    Even a GOF has to admit, it beats the only alternative! :laugh:

20. BassmanPaul

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    Well you could say I was kinda dead in 2016 when they stopped my ticker to fix it! LOL

Lucille, sorry to piggie back on your thread but I did need to get my B15 up here before I forget how to start TalkBass off. :D I used to be thick but I’m thickerer now! LOL

I should inform you that our @JimmyM is our Ampeg expert, he knows the B15 series intimately. @beans-on-toast knows one hell of a lot about the inner workings of these and other amplifiers. He helped me, much to my chagrin, to sort out a rectifier flashover problem I had with mine. LOL

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
    JimmyM, Lucille Borella and rickdog like this.