Ampeg B-15-N Replacement Speaker Recommendation

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by main_sale, Jun 25, 2004.

1. main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    Does anyone have any suggestions for a good replacement 15" speaker for a 1967 B-15-N?
  2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
  3. Gretschluvr

Jun 8, 2004
    Ceramic California Bass (80 watts)
    Eminence Kappa Pro, Gamma or Delta series are very good speakers and can handle highter wattages with great efficiency. (500 watts-375 watts respectively) If you like super kicker lows then the Kappa Pro (45hz-3500hz), If you want a more full range bass speeker then Delta (65hz-5K hz) or California (65-4Khz) Both will deliver beautiful clean bass. I had this speaker for a while and it is clean and nice...I have Eminence now and really like it. I tried a Kappa Pro and it was awesome deep punchy lows.

4. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    When I had one (many years ago) I put a
    JBL D-140 in it. Great match! Find an old
    one, you will love it.
  5. morebass!

morebass! I'm listening Supporting Member

May 31, 2002
    Madison WI
    Many years ago I put a JBL (a K140 I think) in my '64 B-15N. It didn't have the same sound as the original. The heavier speaker was not nearly as punchy and didn't seem to move as much air as the lightweight original. I quickly put the original back in and have used it ever since. It's not the same thing at all. The original paper cone is light and responsive compared to more modern high power speakers.
  6. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    The D-140 was a better speaker. Better tone, and
    more sensitive. I remember trying EV, a few different
    JBL's, and a Gauss. Most of them just didn't sound
    right. For me the JBL D-140 was the best for both
    electric and upright bass.
  7. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I had a 70-71 fliptop. I threw a gauss in mine backin the early 80s... helped mine some

:eyebrow: I hated that was my first. under powered, muddy... switches just made the amount of mud increase...

:bawl: Why the heck did I sell it !!!!! I kill to have it back now! ;)

( think it just needed a cap job and retube the whole time I was hating it)
  8. Elliott

Mar 20, 2000
    I had two B-15s - one '70's style with the ultra low switch that I really liked for standup. I sold that one (Dagnabit :crying: - never EVER sell anything old). I kept the older one from the '60's.

I put Altec 421's in both of them and they sounded great. I still use the one I kept for practice. I wish I had the old speakers, though. But apparently the new Altec speakers I put in back in 1979 are now vintage, so I am happy again.

There is a company in New York somewhere that specializes in fliptops. They have all the hardware to refortify the mojo, including speakers.

Somewhere in my past, I remember having a 2-15" flip top with a transistor amp. Also, didn't they make a 1-18" fliptop?