1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg B-15S, thoughts?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by CTBassGuy, Aug 14, 2019 at 2:01 PM.

1. CTBassGuy

CTBassGuy Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2018
    Danbury, CT
    I have a bad case of GAS that I think I can be, and likely should be, talked out of. (I know, TB is the wrong place for that, but...)

There is a B-15S for sale that I think I really want, but I already have a V4B reissue and a good choice of cabs to go with it (2x svt210avs, V4 4x12, and an 810 flatback). I think I’ve got “Ampeg” covered pretty well.

But that B-15S is so cool....

So is there any benefit to a B-15S vs what I have, other than the cool factor?

I know the down sides: weight (120 lbs...), old amp that may need to be biased, recapped, retubed, etc.

beans-on-toast likes this.
  2. CTBassGuy

Feb 3, 2018
    Danbury, CT
    Nevermind; I cured my own GAS. Used this at practice tonight and I don't need/want anything else (except maybe an SVT :D ).

IMG_2357.JPG

funkytoe and sears like this.
  3. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    The B-15S is heavier, uses a 12DW7 and 7027A power tubes. Not a problem ordering the tubes but noit as easy as the V4BR tubeset. I wouldn't trade a V4BR for the B-15S, vintage amps can come with issues.

But if you want the B-15S, why not make yourself happy.

CTBassGuy likes this.
  4. CTBassGuy

Feb 3, 2018
    Danbury, CT
    Thanks Beans. Agree with your assessment of the potential down sides of the B-15S.

After practice last night running my V4B/V4 cab rig, I don’t have any justification for the B-15S, other than just GAS. I’m not cured of GAS, but it’s at least temporarily subdued for the moment. :)

beans-on-toast likes this.
  5. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    CTBassGuy likes this.
  6. glivanos

glivanos Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2005
    Philadelphia Area
    I had a B15S. Killer amp but to your point way too heavy. I replaced it with a V4BH head and SVT 15E cabinet.
    Easier to get around. Sounds pretty much the same and the head has a DI output which I use with FOH PA systems.

CTBassGuy likes this.
  7. CTBassGuy

Feb 3, 2018
    Danbury, CT
    Excellent; thanks for the feedback and confirmation, gilvanos. I’ll stick with my V4B and V4. Both pieces together weigh less than the B-15S, has a DI out as you mentioned, and is almost double the power.

GAS subsided for now... :D

8. glivanos

glivanos Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2005
    Philadelphia Area
    GAS never subsides.....LOL!

CTBassGuy likes this.
  9. CTBassGuy

Feb 3, 2018
    Danbury, CT
    That should be the new tag line for TalkBass! :roflmao:

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019 at 5:41 PM
  10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I wouldn't mind a B-15S, but I certainly don't feel the least bit inadequate with a new V4B!

CTBassGuy likes this.
  11. CTBassGuy

Feb 3, 2018
    Danbury, CT
    Agreed Jimmy. Pretty much where I am now after practice.

If it showed up at my front door, I wouldn’t refuse, but “Wouldn’t mind” is not enough of a desire given the distance to get it, space in the house to place it, and the $ to buy it.

JimmyM likes this.