1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg B-15T

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tom Domino, Sep 24, 2008.

1. Tom Domino

Tom Domino

Jul 27, 2008
    Earth
    Just picked one of these rascals up, after trying/buying too many other downsized amps for small combo use. Darn nice amp, but Ampeg/SLM/LOUD doesn't have squat for documentation.

I have the original User Guide (no schematics/service info, but moderately informative) scanned and saved as high-res .pdf files, if anyone needs a copy. May have a copy of the service manual/schematic shortly, as a LOUD Tech Support rep has shown unusual interest in making this happen for me. They'll probably lay her off later today. :-0

PM me if you need any of this.

*Additional info*
    I'm impressed. Just got schematics from the LOUD rep, and they're available as .pdfs in case anyone can use them.

[​IMG]

2. cdmawolf

cdmawolf

Oct 7, 2008
    I could use the schematic .pdf file something awful. Thought I was gonna fix this one quick to get to my son, but I going around in circles.

3. Tom Domino

Tom Domino

Jul 27, 2008
    Earth
    See your PMs - I couldn't find any e-mail address in your profile.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    This looks like one of the sweetest deals in the Fliptop world. Never heard one, though. Hell, the cab would be worth what you paid for the whole deal, I would think (you did say $200, right?).

5. Tom Domino

Tom Domino

Jul 27, 2008
    Earth
    200 smackers, and worth every penny. I'd been admiring it for years while working with the original owner and he finally gave it up - something about not wanting to drag it downstairs anymore. (If he thought that was bad, he should have tried hauling my blackface Bassman combo with the 2 100w 15" SROs. Talk about a workout...)

I need to replace the rubber insulation where the head sits in the cab in playing position, as there's a bit of buzz audible in quiet rooms, but other than that, it's in great shape. Nicest quilted drop cover I've ever seen, too. If it was a bit larger I'd be using it for a blanket. :-0

It's had the heck played out of it for a couple of weeks now, and is surprisingly beefy. My EB2D still shakes the house when plugged into it, and my fretless J Bass sounds wonderful. Nice clean feed for the house system and the push/pull options on the tone controls allow lots of flexibility.

6. Hey Guys,
    I have one of these amps! Bought it new in 87 or 88. Mine has blue and white outlines on the amp face but looks identical otherwise. Great sounding amp. I'll take a copy of that file if you don't mind.
    Brent

7. Tom Domino

Tom Domino

Jul 27, 2008
    Earth
    See your PMs.

8. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Tom-

Can you post a bit more info about this amp (power, basic architecture) or suggest a link? Thanks!

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    SS, 100w, came with Ampeg Custom 15" or EVM 15L as an upgrade, two triangular ducted ports, level control for balanced line out, defeatable limiter, and my favorite feature, a tilt-back rod.

10. Tom Domino

Tom Domino

Jul 27, 2008
    Earth
    And from the manual:

[​IMG]

11. bonosurf

bonosurf

Nov 24, 2007
    I would really appreciate the schematics since the one I have has several toasty resistors and dead output BJTs. THX

gbonosurf@yahoo.com

12. Tom Domino

Tom Domino

Jul 27, 2008
    Earth
    bonosurf: You win the prize for being the first request with an e-mail address. Schematics are en route. :)

13. 69limeRev

69limeRev Supporting Member

May 1, 2007
    Western Pa.
    Mines a little older...and taken alot more abuse. Still sounds good, though!

000_0866.

14. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Rev, that's actually a BT-15, not a B-15T. Never heard one, but Mingus used to endorse it so I'd think it has to be good. Still looks pretty decent for its age, though.

15. gdthomas

gdthomas

Oct 26, 2007
    Smyrna, Ga
    PM for schematics...

16. Jonesy

Jonesy

Feb 21, 2006
    Umm, it says B-15T right on the front of the amp. Why is it not what it says it is? I owned one of these for a decade and it was a fine rig for smaller gigs and rehearsal. Definitly lacking on the low end, but it is the amps fault, not the cab. When these were new, you had the option of an Ampeg stamped frame 15, or a EVM15. The EVM sounded considerably better than the Ampeg 15 IMHO. I ran a Sans-amp Bass DI in front of mine and it helped the low end (and tone) quite a bit I think. I sold the amp a few years ago when I decided to thin the herd. I wish I hadn't!

17. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Because maybe you have dyslexia and don't know it ;)

I just did a Google search to make sure, and without a doubt, the 60's solid state B-15 is called the BT-15, and the 90's SS B-15 is the B-15T.

18. Jonesy

Jonesy

Feb 21, 2006
    While I appreciate your efforts on attempting to identify the amp, you should take a closer look at the photo of the amp in the 1st post of this thread. The amp is clearly marked B-15T on the upper right corner of the amp. This IS the 90's amp. Not the 60's amp. Why do you think otherwise?

19. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    I don't. Take a look at post 13 by 69limeRev. Looks nothing like Tom's pic in post 1, right? That's because that amp is a 60's era BT-15 and not the 90's B-15T that Tom has.

Don't worry...I wont goof on you for cursory reading the thread...I do it a lot my own self.

20. Jonesy

Jonesy

Feb 21, 2006
    Thanks!