Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg B-2 combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassman1185, Nov 11, 2002.

1. What do you all think of it? There's a used on in a local guitar shop, and I'm considering trading for it. Have any of you had any expierience with this amp, or with the B-2R head? Is the lack of a tweeter or horn noticeable? I play in a hardcore/metal band and in my church youth group's worship band, so I need a good range of sounds, but I play an MTD Heir, and that's pretty versitile.

2. thelastofus

thelastofus Guest

Jul 3, 2002
    Bakersfield, Ca
    i have one and it does a pretty good job. i think that you should buy an avatar 2 4x10 cab down the road so it's 350 watts. when i added an ampeg bse410 the difference in volume and fullness was amazing. as far as for your worship band (i also use it for a worship band) it gets the job done. for use with mainly accoustic guitars and soft drums i don't have a very trebbly tone for it so the 1x15 handles the lows and low mids pretty well but lacks a little bit of presence and deffintion for the highs. but if you paired it up with an avatar 2x10 then you'd have a very portable good sounding rig.

3. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    My experience was this;
    The B2 combo sounded awesome-nice fat tone, and pretty loud on it's own.
    Plugged into a B2R head-set up it's tone same as the combo's, then hooked it up to an SVT 115 cabinet. It didn't sound that great at all. Now, when I plugged the head into an SVT 410he cab, it sounded 100x better-with no change to the EQ settings!
    That was weird I thought. But bottom line-you couldn't go wrong with either the combo, or B2R and good cab.

4. I have a B2 combo with 4 X 8" and a horn and I have a 1 X 15" extension speaker that I add for larger venues. For several years, I played an SVT3PRO with a couple of different 4 X 10" cabinets and 1 X 15" or 1 X 18" cabinets. I like the B2 combo much better for a number of reasons. I don't think I'm the only person that will tell you that, either!

5. i have the B2 1x15 combo and i like it. i also match it up with the SVT 2x10 cab for that extra headroom and life is good. I also have an SVT 3 pro and unfortunately i like that better than the B2 but i suspect that is the tube preamp that gives me that sound i like a little better. Overall though my B2 is a great amp and i would not trade it. It is plenty loud for most gigs, versitle, and pretty portable (compared to my 8x10). You'll like it if you get it.

6. i have a B2 1x15 combo and I have no major complaints about it. the 350 watt option is nice especially i you play in a hardcore/metal band. I've had the combo for 4 years. The only complaints I have are that the fan broke and had to be replaced, and the tiny eq level adjusters are very fragile and two of them have broken off in my travels. Other than that it is an excellent sounding combo. You might consider buying the head and cabinet seperately because the combo is a little heavy (90+ lbs).

7. keoliphant

keoliphant

Mar 11, 2002
    Portland, OR
    I had the Ampeg B2 combo and an Ampeg 2x10 extension cabinet about a year ago. I play in a church group with a mic'd piano, 2 acoustic guitars, and several vocalists. The tone was pretty darn good, but the amp hissed quite a bit when played at medium volumes. At the time, I was playing with an acoustic / electric bass guitar so that could have something to do with it!

When playing with buddies (2 very loud electric guitars) in a basement the B2 combo couldn't keep up. The bass could be heard but definately was not felt! Since then, I've traded the Ampeg in.