Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg B-2 Input Jack Problem

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lonote, Jan 3, 2003.

1. I have an Ampeg B2 4 X 8" combo. I have a problem with the input jack. I had it replaced a year and a half ago and I need to have it replaced again. The jack is kind of a plastic barrel that has 2 metal spring strips that make contact with the guitar cable. The metal strips are thin and, evidently, become fatigued and won't hold the plug tightly enough to transmit the sound. Has anybody else had this problem? How did you solve the it? It doesn't look like a Switchcraft jack will fit...HELP!!

2. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Check the connections on the jack. With input jacks that get used a lot, the solder connection can become loose even though it looks fine. Re-solder them and it may solve your problem.

3. Something else is going on with it. I don't think you'd wear out a jack in a year and a half for no reason, but I could be wrong.

Are you sure it is worn out, or could it just be that the solder joints where it connects to the circuit board are breaking? What's the symptoms? Crackling when you jiggle the cord, etc.? Could be broken traces on the circuit board right where the jack contacts it.

Or you could be too hard on your jacks! :D

I know, none of that helped you, but at least I tried.....

Chris

4. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Perhaps your cable is partially to blame... From what I understand some 1/4 in. phone plugs aren't really 1/4 in. in diameter. If your cable has a slightly undersized plug, that might be your problem.

I once bought a broken Peavey combo bass amp that had just needed a new input jack. I installed a traditional Switchcraft 1/4 in. jack and used short jumper wires to connect it to the circuit board. It doesn't look quite stock, but it works great.

If you consider doing this to your amp, make sure that the sleeve connection of the input jack is supposed to be connected to chassis ground. Plastic jacks don't do it automatically but a metal bodied jack certainly will.

5. I should have added that I use a "spring loaded" Planet waves cable. It is most definitely metal fatigue in the jack that is causing the problem. A year and a half is an unacceptable lifespan for an input jack. Some bean counter at Ampeg decided they'd make half a cent more on each unit if they used a cheapo input jack.

I think I'll try your solution, Billy B...that is, if a Switchcraft will fit. Thanks, guys!