Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg B-2 (or B-248) combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MarkMcCombs, Jun 11, 2001.

1. Just noticed that I never see these for sale on ebay. I've played thru them and am always on the lookout, especially for the 248 option with the 4-8" drivers. I thought is sounded amazing. Anyone out there with an opinion as to the amp and why I can't find one used?

2. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    I've got a B2R head and I think it's a real good buy for the money. I think Ampeg only made the B-248 combo for a short time-it seems like their 8" speakers didn't really catch on. The 8x8" Ampeg cabinet I've heard sounded great so I'd imagine people hold on to the stuff once they've got it. If you're looking for one try placing a wanted ad in the "Classified" section of TalkBass or on www.bassgear.com . Also, www.bassnw.com is having blowouts on a bunch of demo, rental, and factory-refurbished Ampeg gear-all sold at super-low prices with full warranty. They have the 15" B2 combo for $599 in their "Special Sale Items" section-check it out.

3. virtual.ray

virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    A used Ampeg combo came in to a local shop in February from a guy that traded it and other stuff for something else.Well,I tried it out and really liked it,and the salesman was telling me it was a 1x15 with a tweeter.I checked around and found out that such a beast didn't exist,and when I went back to the shop a few days later,I shined a flashlight on the grille and saw the outline of 4 small drivers.Anyway,I bargained with the guy and got the amp plus a custom Tuki cover for $350 (!) Although I didn't really need another amp,I'm so glad I got this thing,it has a warm round sound that still articulates fast notes very well and with an extension cab (in my case aBag End 1x15,another used find for $199),the sound really opens up and pushes 350 watts.I'd highly recommend the B248 if you can find one in good shape.

4. Bump for current feedback:

One of the B-248's has showed up on my local Kijiji. Anyone have some further input for these?

I plan on using it for practice and venues for 100 people or less. I have a Yorkville Bass Master 200 with a 1-15 that I have yet to turn past 4 for small gigs. It's freakishly loud. Will this Ampeg disappoint by comparison?

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I doubt it. But of course, that all depends if you're looking for sheer loudness or reasonable loudness with some good tone.

6. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    Gigged that combo for several years. The cab is cool, more punch and less bottom than the SVT 2x10 from the same period. Can take a good bit more than the rated 200 Watts. The amp, eh never cared for it. Might be my least favorite Ampeg of all time. It helped TREMENDOUSLY when I put a Sansamp in front of it. I ultimately sold mine to go lighter with more power. Still kinda wish I still had it though, nothing looks cooler than Ampeg. IMO of course...