Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg B-2 or Gallien Krueger 400rb-IV?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by metalbass101, May 10, 2004.

1. GK!Hands down!

14 vote(s)
    58.3%
  2. I gatta' say the Ampeg.

10 vote(s)
    41.7%
  1. metalbass101

metalbass101

Jan 24, 2004
    If you were to get your first head and you had only these two choices,what would you pick?

2. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    It would strongly depend on my musical purposes. But to my very personal taste, I never liked GK, so I'd go Ampeg.

3. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Kentucky
    Do you like apples or oranges?

FYI, the Ampeg is 350W, GK is 250W(?) I believe.
    Drastically different sounds - big difference in weights too.

Before I considered either, I'd go to a local music store or ten and try out anything I could.

4. lsu921

lsu921

Jun 6, 2003
    Addis, La
    I guess I should elaborate on this. I own a GK700RB-II and I've played on the Ampeg B2R. I prefer the sound of the B2R. To my ears it was more fat and full. It's rated at 350 watts, which I often hear is pretty far off the mark. Ampeg seems to be a little generous in favor of themselves when rating their amps.

My GK is rated at 480 watts and to me it sounds every bit of it. I think the 400RB is 280 watts. I never could get a warm enough, fat enough sound out of it for my taste. It just isn't my sound, but it might be YOUR sound. It's super bright and funky. I could get what I want out if it with a little help from effects, but I'd rather plug my bass to my amp with nothing in the middle. I'm not a knob turner. I like to plug and play.

Saying all of that. Just go try both of them if you can. It's up to you and you're the only one who knows what you want.

5. 7thbass

7thbass

Nov 21, 2003
    Houston, Tx
    I have an Ampeg B5, which is a B2 + second channel (distortion) + amp stable down to 2 ohms. The B2 is cannot run at 2 ohms.

The B5 is about 300 or so watts at 4 ohms and 500 or so at 2 ohms, according to the literature that came with my amp. I bought it with the thought of using a 4ohm 2X12 (which sounds very fine and very round) and adding another cab if necessary.

I know this is no SVT, and there is nary a tube to be found, so I won't claim that the solid state Ampeg is a replacement for the SVT's of the world. Having said that, I have always gotten a very solid and satisfying tone into the 2X12. Also, always felt I had a lot of headroom.

I had heard rumblings that the B5 ratings are inaccurate. All I know is that at practice, or on the gig, the B5 + 2X12 have been loud enough with room to spare, both with and without PA. Never got hot, never sputtered. That is against three Bassman Reissues (2 guitars and a harmonica) keyboards and a loud drummer. Its a blues band that likes to play loud. Hell, I even cut through with my fretless.

I have always liked the G&K stuff, but I think my playing does not lend itself to or require a really modern sound. I played through a 400 rb a few years ago and thought that it would be better for maybe slap or hard rock guys. Although I have always thought highly of G&K, their sound does not match the one in my head.

I would go with the B2. If volume a problem, go with the B5 and use 2 4 ohm cabs.

6. vacman

vacman

Mar 8, 2004
    portland, or
    Go with the St. Louie Special.....Go with Ampeg. Save up and drop on the SVT. You will love it. The b-2 is a great head but IMHO does not like to be pushed to hard. In all fairness I have not owned any G-K heads but have always been impressed by how clean they are with out sounding sterile.
    SVT plus 8-10= Air movin funk generating stack of love baby, YEa!!!!! :D :D

7. Transverz

Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Agreed...

The B2R would be my choice. My B5R is nothing but greatness coming out of it. Just like 7thbass said, not sure if it's getting all the 300watts (or so) into my 4ohm 4x10, but I have never had a situation where I have ran out of volume, nor have pushed the volume anywhere near max. The 2 ohm option is also something I can't wait to exploit. Yeah!

-T

8. Well, last night I had a 400rb stacked on top of my SVT350H (b2r in a head style, exactly the same electronics). I was switching between them and the GK sounded like a turd compared to the Ampeg. I had never played through a GK before and was totally unimpressed with it. I would never buy one.
    But I'm an Ampeg guy and love the low end.

9. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    The GK has a very scooped midbass/bass sound. It isn't boomy. By itself, I don't really like it as much as an Ampeg, but in a band situation, it sounds very very good. It just blends in well. It also has a ton of punch and power reserve, and rocks with slap bass. It is just a differnent sound. It is all about the voicing of the amps. They are both different. I would think that most people prefer the sound of the ampeg better when demo'ing the amps side by side. I am totally happy with the GK though, especilly though the bass rich spector. It is really the only bass that I like on my GK. My ibanez is still a little scooped.
    Wes