Ampeg B-2 problem

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by George, Jul 27, 2000.

1. George

Mar 20, 2000
    I have an Ampeg B-2 combo amp that I bought used 6 months ago, it has a great tone and is powerful enough for what I use it for. The problem is that it has started to breakup the sound after about 20 minutes of use. The amp goes silent during the initial attack but then it amplifies the sustaining note. I've tried it with 2 different basses and several different cords but it didn't make any difference. I really like this amp and can't afford a new one, so any help would be appreciated.

2. Doug

Apr 5, 2000
    Buffalo, N.Y.
    I'd have it looked at by a tech. Sounds like you may have a loose solder joint, which is common among alot of the new equipment nowadays. I had a similiar problem when I was using my Mackie amp as a bass amp. It would cut in and out occasionally. If I had my preamp volume turned down or playing lightly and not sending a strong enough signal, it would cut out. Took it apart and found a loose solder joint on the front panel gain pot.

[This message has been edited by Doug (edited July 27, 2000).]
  3. Bernie

Dec 12, 1999
    Have a tech look at it.Ampegs warrenty is good for 5 years even if your not the original owner.Good luck!
  4. I agree. Don't try to fix it yourself--you wouldn't want to hurt yourself, or the amplifyer (and possibly void the warranty).

P.S. Is it loud enough to play with a loud drummer? The B2 is the one with a 15 incher and 200/350 watts, right? I was considering one of these whenever I found my bassman. How much did you pay?

Woof-Man Out
  5. George

Mar 20, 2000
    Thanks for your help, I will have it looked at by a tech. The amp is loud enough to play over a drummer IMHO. Our drummer isn't to loud and I only have to set the gain at 3 and the volume at 5. I paid 350.00 for it at a pawn shop.