Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg B-25- wanna use to re-amp in studio, cab problem

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by alexchavel, Apr 5, 2014.

1. alexchavel

alexchavel

Feb 11, 2008
    Hello bassers

Just finished tracking all my bass for a record, DI into apogee duet onto an IPad.

Getting ready to re-amp the tracks, we've always tracked bass this way.

I have an old Ampeg B-25 head id like to use for tone, but only cabs I have are ampeg 8x10, and bergantino NV-215.

Both are 4ohm, the b-25 is 16 or 8 with dummy plug.

No go right? Even for short time to run all the tracks through?

My other head is another old thing, Solid state Traynor monoblock, nice beater for tour, but would rather not use it for record.

Any ideas?

2. christw

christw Get low! Supporting Member

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    I want to be Tesla (tinkerer at Dayton Amp Co)
    You could rewire the Berg's speakers in series to 16 ohms for the recordings and then restore them to parallel afterward. Just run the + (tip) of the jack to the + of the top speaker. Then run the - of the top speaker to the + of the bottom speaker. Run the bottom speaker's - back to the sleeve of the input jack and you'll have a 16 ohm Berg. Someone will post a diagram if you ask, I'm sure.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    You can run the dummy plug and one of your cabs without hurting it, as both Jess Oliver and Bill Hughes have said those old Ampeg transformers can withstand going a little lower or higher, but to my ears it sort of tightens and compresses the sound a bit.

No chance of borrowing an 8 ohm cab? Or maybe your 810 is one of those newer cabs with the dual mode? You could use half the speakers in your 810 at 8 ohms, or even temporarily disconnect half of them until your recording's over if it doesn't have dual mode. Chris' idea sounds like a good one too, but the NV215 has three speakers...two 15"s and a mid cone, so would that idea still work?

4. alexchavel

alexchavel

Feb 11, 2008
    Yeah, it's got the mid too...and I don't really want to mess with it too, I LOVE that thing!

How do you make a dummy plug? Is it just a 1/4" jack with some speaker wire?

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Don't even need speaker wire. Just a 1/4" TS jack with nothing hooked up to it.

6. alexchavel

alexchavel

Feb 11, 2008
    I think I can handle that :)

Going to pickup a radial x amp too

Thanks for all the info!

7. I know, it's kinda old but I did a search... Jimmy, did you mean "TS plug"? The male part of that 1\4" thing? I need a dummy plug, will just use a short FX patch if I'm thinking right about this.

Thanks for your time!

8. I know, it's kinda old but I did a search... Jimmy, did you mean "TS plug"? The male part of that 1\4" thing? I need a dummy plug, will just use a short FX patch if I'm thinking right about this.

Thanks for your time!

9. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    Heck of an echo in the thread today!! :)

10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Heck of an echo in the thread today!! :)

But seriously, yes, the typical 1/4" plug that you see at the end of many instrument cables would work fine. Probably wouldn't use an instrument cable for a dummy plug, though, as it's a speaker jack. Then again, I don't know the implications for using an instrument cable for a dummy, so it may be OK, but I wouldn't take chances when it's so easy to find just the raw plug.

Count Bassie likes this.
  11. So the connectors on the plug don't have to be connected, as in "closing the circuit"?

So the connectors on the plug don't have to be connected, as in "closing the circuit"?

12. Why not use a cab sim DI. Something like the two notes torpedo, Palmer PDI, or the Radial JDX (just stay away from the mesa).

13. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    The way I understand it, just physically inserting a plug in there that isn't connected trips the 16 ohm tap and allows the transformer to operate properly with an 8 ohm cab. So while I'm not the last word on it, I don't believe the connectors have to be connected.

Count Bassie likes this.
  14. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Not really the same, is it?

15. No, but its close. Still loads the amp. Still allows for the tone of the amp, and full uncolored tone at that.

16. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Well they can, but a lot of them have some definite voicing, too, and most are made for guitar. The Two Notes looks cool because you can model pretty much anything, but I'm still not totally sold on digital. Not saying you absolutely have to use a cab anymore, but for many applications, I still prefer it. And it's fun.

Count Bassie likes this.
  17. Thanks for the reply Jimmy. And you're right- knowing what to do with your gear, and doing it, is fun!

18. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    I realize this is an old thread,
    but another option here would of been to connect both cabs together with a series-box/cable for an 8-ohm combined load, and mic each cab to its own channel. You could use a long speaker cable to isolate each cab to its own room helping to minimize mic bleed. Between the 2 mic'd cabs and the DI track, you'd have a lot of cool tone options to experiment with (blending/soloing) at mixdown [​IMG]