Ampeg B-25

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by schneidy, Mar 22, 2004.

1. schneidy

Feb 24, 2004
    Does anyone out there have experience with these heads? I love old ampeg amps, but I'm not really intersted in carrying around an SVT or disembodying a b-15 to get that sound.

I have the opportunity to get one of these relatively cheap so I'm asking around for advice.

2. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    They'll only run 16 ohms...
  3. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I use a B25B with original 2x15 cab in my home studio but its 55 watts is not enough to gig with for me. Sorta bulky and heavy to drag around, too, although obviously not as bad as an SVT rig. The B25B has a great, vintage tone---fat and rather punchy with great growl.
  4. If available, you'd probably be much better off with a V4B, even a recent model.
  5. They'll run 16 or 8 ohms. The EXT SPKR jack switches the tap on the output transformer, or you can do what I did and just add a switch. But yeah, it won't do 4 ohms.

Only 55 Watts, good for jamming with unamplified drums and small guitar amp, but not much more than that. Cool amp I think.

If you can get it for $150 or less, snag it because you'll always be able to sell it for more than that if you don't like it. It's perfect for recording and noodling around, though, so you'll probably keep it.

Here's mine with the B25B cab: