1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

ampeg b-25

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by a e i o u, Nov 28, 2006.

1. does anyone know anything about how this works for a bass head or know anything at all about it from personal experience?

2. thrashermatt

thrashermatt

Jan 26, 2006
    western mass
    yeah its a bass head but works very well for a guitar. I think it has a similiar preamp section to a v2 or a v4. Its rated at about 55 watts which seemed pretty conservative to me. But i don't think it would be suitable for anything bigger than a small venue. Thats just my take

3. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    It was Ampeg's rig to compete with the Sunn 200s. Very cool head. I actually think it sounds better than the 200s! :eek:

4. Our keyboard guy used one for years. I used one on and off for years also. The power rating is perhaps conservative, perhaps not. It will rock a bar/Legion/VFW type place. If memory serves the B25B cab was 16 ohms. Could that be? Why would I remember that?

I suppose they aren't a $100-$150 any more.

I used it with a B25B cab ( CTS 15G54B speakers)- way cool, a BT140 cab (Altec speakers) bleepin way way cool, Sunn 200 cab sometimes with D140's for a few months with CTS's. Once with my B15S cab loaded with a K140 (NOT MY FAV SPKR) and with a 360 cab loaded witha Pyle. Loud for sure but darned little head room.

Use the Ampeg 1/3rd rule. Vol at 10 o'clock, treb. at 10 o'clock, bass at 10 o'clock. easy on the ultra low switch, you can get woofy

Granted by definition a watt is a watt is a watt. But this is how I grade 50 watt amps, the SBT or BT140 is my 120 watt point and a early 70's SVT with two cabs is my 300 watt reference point.

Admitadly prejudiced, pro-early Ampeg, look at my Avatar and hero.
    Best of Luck,
    Wesley R.