1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

ampeg b-25b on craigslist

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by icke2433, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Hey there guys, there is a guy selling an ampeg b-25b
    He is asking 500 for the head but I've seen quite a few postings about it going for between 250 and 300. I'm wondering is this just the price you now pay for a b-25 or would I be ok in offering less? I'm currently waiting on a response about when it was last serviced/had its tubes changed. What do you guys think?

Attached Files:

2. more pictures

Attached Files:

3. I got mine for about 250 and then tweaked it with a Mercury output transformer. Glorious old school amps. If you want to vaporize the first 3 rows with volume, look elsewhere.

4. Wow, brings back memories! Thats the amp I had in 1975 with the matching 2x15 cab. I had wished at the time that I had gone with the 100 watt v4b instead. Had to really push it to be heard because it was amp only no mixing. Had a great tone though. I don't recall what I paid back then, but 300.00 I would think would be more than enough. Hopefully someone with more knowledge of this will pipe in and give you a better idea. Pretty heavy head if I remember right, but not even close to an svt!

5. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    People have been trying to inflate these because they have the look.

There's a GC near me that has one with a $699 tag on it - I asked a buddy who works there if he was aware it needed a 16ohm cab.

His jaw dropped.

the B25 is a great sounding little amp, but it has its anomalies.

6. 500 is too much. I also had one back in the day with the 215 cabinet. Good tone, but no volume to speak of.

7. I think I'm going to offer him 250 and move up to 300, I want the amp to use as a guitar amp mostly

8. It makes for a funky guitar amp. As has been said, not a lot of volume for bass in a loud band, it would be like gigging with an old bassman 50. And unless its mint, $500 is on the high side.