Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg B-2R ohm capablity?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sonorous, Feb 17, 2005.

1. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    My musiciansfriend magazine has the B-2R listed in it. In the description it mentions it puts out 450 watts at 2 ohms. However, the musiciansfriend.com website says nothing about 450 watts at 2, it only says 350 at 4 and 200 at 8.

I also checked the Ampeg website, but couldn't even find the B-2R on it. (I did find the B-4R and B-5R, both of which were 2 ohm capable.)

So my question is, can the B-2R do 450 at 2 ohms... or would that damage it?

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Ampeg just revamped the B-2R and I believe the latest edition that just came out has greater power output. Not sure of the minimum load impedance. I think that they changed the model numbers too. There are pictures and specifications in the new Bass Player Magazine (IIRC)

If you have an '04 or earlier B2-R, 4 ohms is as low as it goes.

You could PM Ampeg Insider and he'll set the story straight.

3. I believe the new ones put out 450 at 4 ohms

4. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    didn't they change the model name for the more powerful one to B2Re?
    whoomp heer tis

5. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Well, the magazine I have is from the late summer of 04.

6. and will they raise the price on it?

7. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Zzounds shows the list price for the B-2R at $769. The link that cb56 shared shows a list price of $799 so it went up $30...

8. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Cool.... so it went from "overpriced" to "more overpriced" :rolleyes:

I'm pretty sure that the B2Re is 400 at 4ohms. And no... dont try to run a B2R at 2ohms.... or it'll be an even bigger waste of $550. :spit:

9. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    Correct.

But neither version will drive 2 ohms.

10. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Ok, thank you for clearing that up.

But now I want to know why TheChariot doesn't like them.

11. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Why? for about $100 more, you can get double the power with a tone that is just as good if not better.

Quality for Quantity isnt a tough decision when you can get both.

12. you dont get double the watts, to goes from 350 to 450 just 100 more watts, besides that b2-r is the whimpy-est thing i have ever herd.

13. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I think that he's referring to another brand...not the B2-Re.

14. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Well, what head are you talking about? And if you hate the B2R so much, why do you use one?

15. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    now kids, don't forget to tack on "IMO" or "IME" to your more opinionated posts..............let's all be repectfull like the rules say........otherwise there will be no snack time. ;)

16. aww man, and im hungry now too

17. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    The B-2R/SVT-350H (same amp, different presentation) is eight and four Ohms only. Check the SVT-350H spec page. The B-2R spec page has been down for a long time.

As the new version doesn't start shipping until spring '05, and is not rated for two Ohms anyway, I should think that Musician's Friend has the whole business wrong, which is not at all unusual.

Look for blowout prices on the current B-2R at Guitar Center in the next few months, if you really want one. I have an SVT-350H which, as I said, is the identical amp in a different case. My Guitar Center manager sold it to me for $289 because they busted several of the very vulnerable fader tips off of the EQ while unpacking it. My take is that that's about what it's worth. It's an adequate amp but is, like most Ampeg gear, objectively overpriced . These amps have a reputation for having somewhat less grunt than the specified output figures would lead one to expect. Whether or not this is a fair judgment or not, I can't say as I haven't really used mine, but I've heard the complaint many times on many fora. :meh:

18. That is precisely why i got an ampeg pre with a power amp.

19. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Thanks for the great post Bongolation.