Ampeg B-2R question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ianick, Nov 24, 2004.

1. ianick

Nov 22, 2004
    I am working on buying my first head. Right now I have an Ampeg BSE-115T(8Ohm) powered by an Altec Lansing power amp and BBE 383 preamp. It sounds fine for practice and playing with my guitar player but it's not the sound I'm going for. I really liked the tone I was getting out of my friends Hartke 3500. So I was considering picking one up. But I really like the Ampeg tone. Several bass players I know use and love their svt3 pro amps and I like dirty sound they get with it. Those are out of my price range. So I was considering the B-2R head. Will the b-2r and my 115 get me a good ampeg tone? What other heads should I be looking at in the sub $500 range? Down the road I will be adding a 2x10 or 4x10 so having some expandability would be good too.

Thanks for any help

PS: very informative message board you have here!
  2. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    Welcome to TalkBass. I used to have a B2R. I liked the tone but it seemed underpowered, and being fully solid-state it doesn't really get the tubey grit that Ampegs are known for. Do a search for the amp on this forum and you will find that others have similar opinions. Another weird thing about mine was that Ampeg claims the B2R has a variable-speed thermostatically-controlled fan, whereas mine had a very noisy fan that always ran at a constant speed, even when the amp was idling.

In general I've found that there are a lot of good deals to be found on used amps in the $5-$600 range. I got a used Eden WT-400 for $500; you could also get a used Mesa Walkabout for around that. Both of these amps can get a warm, gritty tone that's in the same ballpark as Ampeg. You can probably find a used SVT3Pro for that cost; Ampeg has a 5 year transferable warranty, so if you get a recent one and get the receipt from the original owner, you'll be covered.
  3. Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    No Bogus Endorsements
    I have a SVT-350H which is the identical amp stuck in a big fake SVT cab. I didn't pay much for it new, so it's OK, but your gripes are pretty spot-on. The fan is horrifically noisy, so much so that I've really never used the head since I got it new, since anywhere else than in a noisy gigging environment it's going to drive you nuts.

Most people seem to think that's it has a lot less grunt than the claimed 350W.
  4. I have a B2R and it has been a servicable intro in to amp/cab setup. I run a ampeg 2x10 and 1x15. I have recently added the Sansamp BBBI and run it in "SVT" settings. I have actually been running the sansamp into a Raven Labs PHA-1 (to EQ) then directly into the effects return to bypass the B2R preamp.

Moral of the story is I kinda wish I would have just picked up a good power amp and a Sansamp RBI.
  5. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I have a B2R and I play it with an SVT-410HLN (4ohms) cab. I've never had the problems you guys have had with the power. I've always been too loud in the situations I've used it in that I've been told to turn down. (turns to amp & pretends to turn down. ;))

The only reason I don't use it live is becasue I bought an SVT-2PRO (normally $1800.00) for $399.99 at a GC blowout.

Also, are you honestly telling me that the fan is louder then the amp when you start playing? :confused:
  6. Buy used - the B2R definately does NOT sound like the 3Pro. If you like the sound of the B2R then that's fine - but I went through the same delima about 3 months back and ended up deciding that I'd rather get a used 3Pro with the sound I wanted then a new B2R that sounded close but no cigar :) Got mine for $450 shipped!