Ampeg B-2R vs. SWR 350x

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by konfishily, Dec 9, 2004.

1. konfishily

Jan 24, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    Ampeg B-2R vs. SWR 350X. Which one has a better low end? and which one is better suited for classic/progressive rock?
  2. The Ampeg has a reputation as being a little underpowered for it's rated wattage, and it doesn't sound like the tube ones. It didn't impress me all that much, but the graphic eq was nice to get all kinds of tone out of it. I currently have an SWR ST-220, which has a parametric eq, so it's a little more difficult to dial in the sound you like but I think it's more flexible, so if you don't need to change your eq much, you could probably find a sound you really like. Overall though, the SWR tends to have less mids, and can get really bright - not exaclty what I would call a classic rock sound. Great for slapping and hifi sounding stuff though. You might want to look at the Eden WT-400 too.
  3. Havent compare the B-2R to the 350X, but compared to the 350 chromed version, (the model that came before), the 350 blow away the ampeg, much more power, (I mean a lot much more power), better low end, etc, the list goes on. I would prefer the 350 instead of the ampeg, and if the 350x is a improved model of the 350, then the 350x is a winner.
  4. ccyork

Jan 26, 2004
    I play classic rock and I've played both heads, although not with the same cabinet. I played the Ampeg through an Aguilar GS112. The SWR I played through a Hartke 4x10.

FWIW I thought the SWR blew the Ampeg out of the water... :ninja:
  5. Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    No Bogus Endorsements
    I have both of these amps in different packaging.

The Ampeg (which I have in the SVT-350H configuration, the B-2R in a big fake SVT box) is not in the same class as the SWR. I bought it new and probably haven't used it ten minutes since, mainly because of the ungodly fan racket, but it seems wildly overrated in output to me, an observation that a lot of other people seem to have come to independently. It also had the typical Ampeg-by-Crate QC problems with assembly.

People here say that you can make a SWR sound like an Ampeg, but not the other way around. That may be true, I dunno. I don't go nuts over tonal nuance that nobody (including me) can really hear, much less care about. Big flats on a Precision tend to make everything sound pretty much the same anyway. :meh:
  6. It seems like SWR's pro line gear is really really high quality in the lower wattage area, but that they start to have reliability problems when they get more powerful (750x, SM900). Does anybody have any opinions on this. I've got an SWR Cab and would like to match it with a head, but I need one that will be quite loud, but I dont want it falling apart. Thoughts?
  7. jgsbass

May 28, 2003
    Floral Park, NY
    I own them both. And I also come from owning a SWR Studio 220. I got the 350x after a Hartke 3500 fell apart ( literally, the story is endless) and I wanted that SWR sound again. I didn't feel the eq on the 350x was nearly as good as the 220. I had it for a year and it developed a problem that could be easily fixed under warantee. The warantee process was enlightening as it became clear that Fender didn't care about SWR and replacement parts would become a major issue in the future. I boxed up the 350x and bought a B2r as a workhorse. The power on the Ampeg flaps my pants the way my ol' SVT used to, and this was with a 2 ten cabinet. The Ampeg feels considerably sturdier than the SWR and the warantee is better. Its not crystal clean but it sounds great and sits well with a number of different gigs I do.
  8. Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    No Bogus Endorsements
    I've been hearing some really terrible things lately about Fender warranty work in general, but could you fill me in on what happened with you?

I think that FMIC is really trying to tighten their belt and are cutting costs in every possible way in the past year. Some insiders are saying to me that they think FMIC is trying to maximize profits in the short term in order to look better and sell the corporation in 2005. I don't know if that's true, but it's consistent with their behavior. Quality is down, parts inventories seem down, and I'm hearing bad things about warranty repair when new parts are needed and are simply not available.

In any case, my SWR has excellent components and I hope it works well for me.
  9. johans

johans G.U.I - Groovin' under influence

Oct 28, 2004
    the Bay Area, CA
    well ..
    go ampeg ..

i played through B2R, 200T, 350H from ampeg, all 350W compare to my 350W black beauty ...

ampeg is much more powerful and punchier, low end wise, ithink its depends to alot of factor, bass, strings, cab choice, eq settings ..
  10. ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    A little history here folks, this all takes place in about a 3 year span. I bought a new GK 1001rbi, to replace my old Peavy Mark VII. The GK started cutting out at gigs about a year later. I went back to using the PV. I bought a new Ampeg SVT Pro III and just did not like the sound cause I really prefer as clear and clean a tone as I can get and just never have any use for overdrive in my style of playing and having to mess with all those EQ sliders, I just could not get my sound. I returned it and bought a new SWR 750x, the very next nite at the gig this amp shut down and I had to go home and get my PV. Next day at the store it turns out that besides the main fuse we already new to be good there is a speaker fuse that was blown. I was not really impressed with the lack of booty the 750x showed me anyway so I then took home a new Ashdown ABM 500 Evo II. This amp had loads of big ass bottom and a good clean tone, just what I wanted. Less than a year old the Ashdown crapped out at a gig. Took it back to the store for repairs and they let me borrow a Genz-Benz 600, very nice amp but will have to return it when the Ashdown returns, maybe. Look, I know these are electronic items and this sh*t happens but I do not abuse my amps, don't push them too hard and while the speakers go in the back of my truck the amps always got placed inside in the back seat. I've checked out my axe, cabs, cables, etc. and they are all fine. My point is that I have never spent more money on amp heads like I have with these supposed pro gear, high end name brands. Before I dove into the $1000. plus market, my peavey never gave me any problems I just wanted a more powerful head and got inticed by the higher end products. What next Eden maybe? Sold the PV to my nephew awhile back so he too could have a more powerful amp for his band. Am now considering pre-amp/power amp setup, though I've never used such a setup before. The GK is playing OK now and it is my backup amp. Reliability is mainly what I am after now. Could the Genz-Benz be it? We'll see what I end up with. Sorry for the rant but Geez I'm frustrated. :bawl:
  11. Basspolizei

Basspolizei Pseudo bass player/collector Gold Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Buy basses and lots of guns before it's too late! You have been warned.
    I have an 83' Peavey amp thats still cranking perfectly for practice after all these years. They are road warrior tough as are most Ampegs. I would dare to classify the Ampeg with Peavey in reliability but the Ampeg sound much more natural with greater options for tonal variety. SWR or Ampeg. Hell, don't listen to us. Go play both and decide with your own ears. We won't be playing it, you will! Play it safe and test both..then buy one, turn it up and enjoy! :smug:
  12. jgsbass

May 28, 2003
    Floral Park, NY
    I have no complaint with the actual labor.
    Finding a repair place with a tech I could actually talk to was an issue. Me actually diagnosing the problem was an issue (" you opened it up, you voided the warantee.""no, there's nothing in the literature that says so, there's a tube in it so it will need to be opened eventually and I didn't repair anything, I troubleshot the amp and found the problem, why is it an issue?")
    Finding out about the sad demise of SWR as it was swallowed by Fender was more of an issue. SWR had stopped making runs of certain amps because of a shortage of parts. If they can't make 'em they certainly don't have the parts to fix 'em. From what I have gleaned from other people in the same situation about factory warantee work or customer relations was that there is none. Fender bought a wonderful amp company that was about to go bust and then took them out of the way for their own "SWR" type line.
    I lucked out. My tech had the parts necessary to fix it. It shouldn't have popped caps from the power supply off the board in less than a year. On my other SWR, I blew the inductor coil off the circuit board 3 times. I put up with it because it sounded sweet and I tried to live with pushing the head at 4 ohms. I got the feeling that the 350x might be an amp which was just not as sturdy as it looked, certainly less robust than the 220. It is now in a box, sitting as a spare or as trade bait for maybe an Aggie combo ( the 1 12" looks nice)
  13. Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Well, that's quite a horror story, I must admit.

Any ideas on why you had so much problems with the inductor coils?

Yeah, your experience is in tune with what I've heard from others about Fender not maintaining adequate parts inventories for warranty repair. One guy claims he's had an amp in for nearly a year on warranty because the parts needed simply no longer exist until Fender makes another run of the amp, if that ever happens.