1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ampeg B-2R

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ïn±ë®nål¦P®ÏMå±Ë, Apr 2, 2001.

1. Ïn±ë®nål¦P®ÏMå±Ë

Ïn±ë®nål¦P®ÏMå±Ë Guest

Feb 14, 2001
    Canada
    They call this the poorman's SVT-3 Pro. Well... i'm a poorman.

I've been checking this out. When I upgrade from my combo amp i'm either going to get the B-2R or a Preamp/Poweramp combination.

Does anyone have any experience with the B-2R?

2. Jeff Corallo

Jeff Corallo

May 30, 2000
    I've owned one for a year and am happy with it. With all the talk of tube v. ss amps, I would have liked to have tried out the SVT3Pro (tube preamp).

3. virtual.ray

virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    I have the same amp in a combo,the B248.I use it with a Bag End S15D and it's a good combo.The amp puts out it's full 350 watts when I run the Bag End with it and it's quite sufficient.

4. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    I've got a B2R and it's hard to beat for what I paid ($489). You get a 9 band graphic EQ and 350 watts into 4 ohms, and it sounds great for an SS head and it. I tried GK, Genz Benz, Peavey, and SWR Workingman's stuff in the same price range and I liked the Ampeg the best.
    Once you get into the SVT3 Pro price range (~$800+) the competition gets pretty stiff: Eden WT400, SWR Bass 350, GK 1001 RB, Carvin R1000; and Ampeg's own solid state B4R has way more power than the 3 Pro for about the same price. If you like the sound of the SVT3Pro you might be better off buying the SVP Preamp and a beefier power amp.

5. TonyS

TonyS

Dec 13, 1999
    USA
    I've owned a B2R for about 2 years and I still feel it's one of the best buys out there. It has been a solid reliable performer.