Ampeg B-2R

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ïn±ë®nål¦P®ÏMå±Ë, Apr 2, 2001.

1. Ïn±ë®nål¦P®ÏMå±Ë

Ïn±ë®nål¦P®ÏMå±Ë Guest

Feb 14, 2001
    They call this the poorman's SVT-3 Pro. Well... i'm a poorman.

I've been checking this out. When I upgrade from my combo amp i'm either going to get the B-2R or a Preamp/Poweramp combination.

Does anyone have any experience with the B-2R?
  2. Jeff Corallo

Jeff Corallo

May 30, 2000
    I've owned one for a year and am happy with it. With all the talk of tube v. ss amps, I would have liked to have tried out the SVT3Pro (tube preamp).
  3. virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    I have the same amp in a combo,the B248.I use it with a Bag End S15D and it's a good combo.The amp puts out it's full 350 watts when I run the Bag End with it and it's quite sufficient.
  4. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    I've got a B2R and it's hard to beat for what I paid ($489). You get a 9 band graphic EQ and 350 watts into 4 ohms, and it sounds great for an SS head and it. I tried GK, Genz Benz, Peavey, and SWR Workingman's stuff in the same price range and I liked the Ampeg the best.
    Once you get into the SVT3 Pro price range (~$800+) the competition gets pretty stiff: Eden WT400, SWR Bass 350, GK 1001 RB, Carvin R1000; and Ampeg's own solid state B4R has way more power than the 3 Pro for about the same price. If you like the sound of the SVT3Pro you might be better off buying the SVP Preamp and a beefier power amp.
  5. TonyS

Dec 13, 1999
    I've owned a B2R for about 2 years and I still feel it's one of the best buys out there. It has been a solid reliable performer.