Ampeg B-4R vs. Firebass 700 w/ EV 1200 watt power amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JigsawJazzz, Jun 25, 2004.

1. JigsawJazzz

Jun 25, 2004
    Hi, I'm a first time poster -

I have been using my Peavy Firebass 700 (700 watts@8 ohms) to power an Ampeg cabinet with 8 10's. To get the full capacity of my cabinets I need a 1200 watt power amp.

So, wanting to upgrade - I was going to get an Ampeg B-4R which is 1000 watts (good enough for me). Then someone at a store suggested keeping my firebass and running a 1200 watt 'EV' poweramp through it to power my cabinet.

Well then the sales guy at the other store said that may work but the firebass may not be able to handle that wattage and would break up and distort at high volumes. (I can't have that!)

Any thoughts, comments or experience with this sort of stuff? I am amature at audio electronics.

Oh and if I went the B-4R it would cost me $679.00 out of pocket (after my trade in). If I go with the 1200 Watt EV it would be $700.00 (out of pocket)
  2. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    That's my advice anyway. I use one through an Ampeg 410 over 15 cab. Sometimes through Two bag End 15 cabs and sometimes through two SWR Goliath II Jr's. Damn, I have too much stuff. I used to own an Ampeg 610hlf that I ran it through. Anyway you will need to bridge the power amp sections into that 810 cab to get the 1000 watts so get the right cable to do that. (see forum sponsor$675 is a good price if that amp is in good shape.
    If that isn't loud enough find a new band! :D
  3. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    Hold on there.... the Firebass puts out 700W at 2 ohms, and your Ampeg 810 is a 4 ohm cab. According to the Peavey manual, you're pushing 475W into the 810.

Going with the Ampeg will give you a different tone and some headroom but not much more in terms of volume (to double volume you need to get 10x the watts... meaning nearly 5000W in your case at which point your cab will turn into a bunch of splinters). The EV option will let you keep your tone while getting that little extra headroom.

Now, considering that even 300W into an 810 can get way loud, what are you finding lacking with your rig?

Maybe I'm just cynical but I think the salesmen are just trying to, well, sell you something.