Ampeg B-50R direct out vs. DI box

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by burningyen, Sep 18, 2003.

1. burningyen

Sep 17, 2003
    How does the direct out from an Ampeg B-50R compare to a dedicated DI box like a SansAmp or a Countryman? I'm only interested in how they compare tonally for recording purposes, not the technical specs. Thanks in advance!
  2. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    a sansamp will give you the "sansamp" treatment on your guitar signal if you like. I like it. The countryman as far as I know is a direct box that will convert your UNbalaced 1/4 signal into balanced....ok I'm not totally sure, but a DI will effect the signal so its more suitable for a mixing board input, matching impedance and all that stuff. sansamp sound + proper impedence VS. just proper impedence. I'd vote sansamp BDDI or RBI (I got RBI).
  3. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hey BY,

good to see you made it over, ok. ;)

but after seeing your PRS Gear post, just go with the Ampeg. if you're content with an acceptable sound, aint nothin' wrong with the Ampeg, tho the Sansamp is mucho nice. the Countryman is ok, but its just a stage work horse. might not sound as good as the Ampeg DI out.

hopefully, there's a separate gain control for your Ampeg's DI, so you wont have to overly goose your amp's volume and bug the neighbors.
  4. I've used the DI on various Ampegs over the years to record and I've never had a beef with the results.
  5. burningyen

Sep 17, 2003
    Hey Jae! Yeah, as I was thinking about this more last night I realized that the direct out from my Ampeg probably doesn't turn off the speaker, and there's no separate gain control. That makes it unusable for my purposes, so I'm going to go with a SansAmp. Thanks, guys!
  6. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Ive used the Countryman for a few years. If you want a no frills DI its the way to go. The sound is very uncolored. Ive used it with my upright (underwood pu) my fender p bass and stingray and they all sound awesome through it. I also use it to run a line into my tape deck and use headphones to monitor the recording channel and voila... a headphone amp! :)
  7. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA

the sansamp will definitely be one of those little gadgets that'll stay with you. you can even use it as a great sounding DI/preamp/EQ box for your acoustic, and even clean toned electric guitar.
  8. I own the B50R and the Countryman. Practically speaking, that's not a DI on the B50R. It's more like a "line out". With the aid of a magnifier I saw a tiny decal that read "line-out". Regardless of all that I found it useless because it was super noisy. I mean NOISY! I even used a top-quality balanced cord and all that.

The Countryman is a real DI. It's tough, clean, and DEAD quiet.
  9. My Countryman is sturdy enough to park my truck on it.