Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg B-50R Specs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DougP, May 21, 2004.

1. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    Does any one know the Freq. Response of the B-50R?
    Cant find it on Ampegs site.
    All i get out of it is 50 watts at 8 Ohms.

Thanks

2. Straight from the horses mouth: (Ok..the 2003 Ampeg Product Reference Guide! Haha)
    B-50R
    Bass: +- 12db @ 60Hz
    Lo Mid: +- 11 db @ 200Hz
    Hi Mid: +- 11db @ 1.2 kHz
    Treble: +- 13db @ 5kHz

Gain: 54db
    Signal to Noise Ratio: 76db Typical

Hope this helps!

3. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    The specs quoted are EQ and gain. If you are inquiring about the frequency response of the cabinet itself I don't know that they publish that. Most combo's don't have exceptional low end, as the cabinets are usually too small for the speaker they use.

4. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    Yeah the cabinet its self is what i was looking for. i am trying to baseline what i have so that i can compare other cabinets.

Thanks for the help nonetheless.

5. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    If the speaker is an Eminence, and most likely it is, you can send an email to Eminence with the spec number from the little silver tag that is located on the side of the magnet.

Write to info@eminence.com and ask for the Thiele-Small parameters for the speaker. You have to provide the Spec. No....they won't help if you ask for the T-S parameters of the speaker in the Ampeg B-50R.

You might want to ask for the frequency response too...I don't recall if that is on of the standard bits of info you receive when getting T-S parameters from Eminence.

A frequency response spec from Eminence probably won't tell you much about the low end (which is very cabinet dependent), but it might about the high end.

With a sine wave generator, a resistor and a DVM, you can find the tuning frequency of the B-50R's cabinet and then have some insight to the low end frequency response.

Good luck!!!

6. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    Holy Crap that is way more effort than is necessary. LOL

i was kinda hoping that someone knew of spec sheet from Ampeg that just doesnt happen to be on their website...

Thank you all kindly for the efforts.

7. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    I have a B-50R and the owners manual doesn't state it either.

8. monkfill

monkfill

Jan 1, 2003
    Kansas City

Or, you could plug it in and try it out :D

9. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    I think he has one and wants to know the specs so he can compare it to others he may be concidering.

10. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    Yeah, i've got one. Its just that before i go into a store to test some piece of equipment, i research the heck out of it on the internet so i am used to specs on the new gear...then when i get into the store and start playing around i can say to myself..."Ok, self, that is what 50hz - 8khz sounds like"

i am looking at getting an Ampeg BXT-210 and that has pretty good freq response but the nearest one to me is about 30 miles away. so before i make that trip i want to know as much as i can about it as i can.

11. I wouldn't put much stock in the specs even if they were published. I think your best best is just to try amps out with your own bass.

Yes, it would be nice if published specs were apples/apples comparisons and ACCURATE, but they're neither.

Mark

12. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Good point Mark!!!

Ultimately what sounds good is good, regardless of what the numbers might suggest.

13. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    While it's good to be prepared, there's so much that don't show up in specs that they're really of limited use. On paper my B-100R probably isn't very impressive. In actual use it's very sweet, even with a low B.

I'm not familiar with the 210 you're looking at but most likely it has a tweeter, while the B-50R doesn't. That'll be a very obvious difference.

Remember... there is no spec for tone... only tone controls;)