1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg B-50R volume pot problem - HELP!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by steamthief, Feb 23, 2008.

1. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    I got an as-new B-50R at a pawnshop last weekend - shiny tolex, plastic still on the control panel, hangtag, great sound! I finally found my practice amp.

The one thing I didn't check was the volume at extremely low settings. I have no sound from the amp with the volume set from 0-1; when I get to 1, a little crackle occurs and bass kicks in.

Is this simply a matter of a dirty pot, or something more serious? I need the low volume to be able to practice after the kids go to bed. Thanks for any advice you can give me.

2. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    Pretty please?

3. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    Sounds like a dirty pot - just about guaranteed. Try moving it from one extreme to the other quickly several times. Failing that, if you know what you are doing just take out the electrics and squirt some pot cleaner into it. If in doubt, take it to a tech - it is a very simple job to pop in a new pot. BTW I havehad one of these since they came out - great practice amp and sounds way more grunty than its 50 watts, good tone and so portable. Good score.

4. Jazzman

Jazzman

Nov 26, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    IME most amps cut-in-and-out down in the 0-1.5 range on the volume knob - is this what you are experiencing? If so, I wouldn't be at all suprised if there was nothing wrong with your amp. Why not set the amp volume a little higher and dial the volume on your bass way back?