Ampeg B series Amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BlacksHole, Apr 29, 2002.

1. BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    I just tried an Ampeg B5R (and B2R) amp through an Ampeg BXT410 cabinet and was very impressed with this set up. However, I do have some concerns/questions. First, the B5R and B2r are both about 350 watts at 4 ohms and this may not be enough power. Note that the B5R can run at 2 ohms (500 watts), but the B2R cannot. The BXT series cabinets are near the top of the line (if not the top) for Ampeg and this cabinet was great, but it also has a problem - it weighs 122 lbs. But it can produce 127 dBs, so volume should not be an issue for this cabinet. If I do actually upgrade my current amplification, I think I'd like the B5R, or its bigger brother, the B4R (stereo/biamp version with 2x the power). But perhaps there is a better deal as the B5R was going for $549 and I expect the B4R to be quite a bit more. Further, the BXT410 cabinet was close to $700. Has anyone tried the Flite cabinets with an Ampeg head? It looks to me like I can get a seriously loud set-up (I play in a classic rock band with 2 guitars) for $1100 or less, but I'm also quite concerned about the weight. When I consider the weight, I then think about an AI CLarus with Flite cabinets, but I can't check these out at the local stores. Any suggestions?