Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ampeg b series cabinets

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by blong1, Nov 29, 2000.

1. blong1

blong1 Supporting Member

Apr 10, 2000
    Alabama
    hi all,
    i am thinking about getting the "b series" 4x10 cab and a 15 cab. i think that i am getting a decent deal on the stuff (around 750.00). i played through them in the store and they sound pretty good. ampeg is a good name to get but i also heard some horror stories about this certain model of cabinets. i just want to know what everyone thought about these...the good, the bad, and the ugly. i want to make sure i'm making the right decision.<p>
    by the way, my head is a hartke 4000. it will push 220 into 8 ohms. is this going to be enough juice for them? thanks in advance.

2. blong1,

I have a B series 4x10 and I'm not real happy with it. I just can't seem to get the right sound out of it. I have an Eden WT-300 head and a Fender Jazz bass so I know those are not the problem. I think the B series uses cheap speakers and my head may be too powerful for the cab. I'm no expert but that is my opinion.

I would look at the Ampeg Pro series and consider just getting a 4x10 cab. It might be all you need to get the volumn and sound your looking for.

3. MikeyD

MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    Count Funkula! Love the name! :) Anyway, everything is a tradeoff. The Pro series cabinets are quite a bit more expensive, but I agree they probably have better quality and frequency response than the others. However, I'm not too impressed with their sensitivity (efficiency): it might take a lot of amp power to get serious volume. However, the SVT series generally appear to have decent sensitivity, even though their frequency response isn't as impressive.

To blong1: if the two cabinets have approx. the same sensitivity rating (you didn't give the exact model, but check out Ampeg's web site at http://express2.expressivetek.com/ampeg/), then it will probably sound good. Just a guideline for that particular speaker configuration.
    - Mike

4. BassBoy311

BassBoy311

Dec 10, 2000
    Blong1-
    I don't know if this even concerns your question but this is just a little input - I have An Ampeg B3 combo with 15" cab. I have not been very impressed with it, although the built-in EQ is acceptably efficient for what i need it for. One disadvantage is that when you push the amp too hard for too long, it starts cutting in and out, hence it does not put out a very loud volume on some frequencies so I am usually more inclined to turn the master volume up. Well anyway, thats my 2 cents. Hope it helps in some way!

5. I have the bse410hlf and I think it is a pretty good cabinet. It has the same speakers as the svt but the box is a bit cheaper and the tweeter level switch is cheaper, it still sounds good.

6. the BSE has the same speakers as the SVT cabinets? sounds funny...
    never played thru BSE or Pro cabs, but the SVTs are real nice. "supposedly" based on the original SVT design (speaker-wise) to grab that tone. does it well, methinks!

7. the iceman

the iceman

Nov 27, 2000
    I was just wondering why Ampeg didn't put any sensitivity ratings for the b-series cabinets on their website----does anyone know what they are? I'm really curious to find out. I've tried out the SVT line and like them a lot, but I haven't had a chance to hear how the b-series sounds.

Also, are the b-series 4x10's 4 ohms or 8 ohms?
    On the musician's friend website it says 4, and on the ampeg website it says 8. I think I'd trust ampeg before musician's friend, but still....

8. blong1

blong1 Supporting Member

Apr 10, 2000
    Alabama
    pretty sure they are 8 ohm cabinets.

9. MikeyD

MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    If by "B-series", you are referring to the BSE cabinets, I have a catalog (with no publication date; which, BTW, I found has a lot of discrepancies with Ampeg's web site) which shows:

* BSE-410HLF: 8 ohms, 99 dB SPL sensitivity (but catalog shows 4 ohms)

* BSE-410H: 8 ohms, 95 dB (have not checked the web site)

* BSE-115: 8 ohms, 97 dB (have not checked the web site)

However, since I found so many discrepancies in the specs, I seriously recommend getting definitive answers from a knowledgeable dealer or Ampeg before risking your hard-earned money!
    - Mike

10. I don't know if you've bought a cabinet yet, but here's a little more info for you.

I have three Ampeg SVT cabinets, a 1x15, 2x10, and 4x10. I use them with an Ampeg SVT-III and Peavey Firebass heads. I have been very happy with the sound out of all of them, expecially the 4x10. It is the SVT-410HLF model.

My main bass is a Fender AmStd Jazz-V with a J-Retro on-board preamp. I play in a C&W/Blues/50-60s Rock group and a Western Swing group. No only do I like the sound, all of the band members in both groups like it as well. I have also gotten quite a few comments/compliments from audience members.

I tried the Fender 4x10, the smaller Ampeg SVT-410, Peavey 4x10, Hartke 4x10, and GK 4x10. The SVT-410HLF, for my old ears anyway, gave the best sound and the results in performance have been most satisfying.

You may have a different sound in mind. I like a bass to sound with a solid "thump" with only a little sustain. I recommend that you try one out and see for yourself. There are many good cabinets out there, but they all sound a little different. You're the one that has to live with it, and that will make the biggest difference.

Good Luck!

11. the bse410hlf is 4 ohms, i know because i have one. The regular 4x10 is 8 ohms. The hlf can hadle 400 watts rms, but the other bse cabinet can only hadle 200 watts rms. I am not sure on the 15 cabinet, but i know that it only handles 200 watts rms.